thesingh

Reattaching rear view mirror.

Just want some friendly advise on reattaching rear view mirror.

I have purchased the Evo-Stik Rear View Mirror Adhesive from Amazon. All I need to do is clean the surface and reapply. What is the best thing to use to clear off access glue? White spirit? Any tips and advise would be helpful.

Thanks

Not sure about residue but..

Best bet for refitting is to glue the metal bit on its own first, leave 24 hrs and then attach the mirror. I took mine to a local screen fitters and got them to glue it as they use proper trade stuff.

I have tried to take the metal coin out with no luck at all. How much did they charge you to professionally glue it on?

You'll never get a decent bond with the weight of the whole mirror hanging from the unset glue.. From memory they may have removed it for me. I know the place that did it, so I think I gave them a tenner for the tea kitty or something!

Agree with baron easirr withjust the coin. If you have a kocal garage that you use they should have some bonding agent maybe worth dropping by

Cant get that damn coin out. tried with pilers, WD40 sprayed on it.

I rang a few companies up today but no one will just fit the rear view mirror. Any one know a place in South London? My local garage will just use the glue I've just purchased.

That metal disc is well bonded on and if your using pliers to remove it, you're risking trashing the screen. Take it to a windscreen place, they're the experts who do it day in day out.

WD40 is a water dispersant (hence the WD part). It won't break down glue...

Thanks Sean, That explains why its so hard to twist it out.

I spent my lunch time ringing up windscreen places, no one seems to just apply the rear view mirrors. Any one got any recommendations?

Try acetone in the place of your WD40, it should breakdown and superglue. Nail polish remover if full of the stuff if you cant find and neat

I went to a windscreen place and asked one of the fitters. (Looked suitably sad and helpless) He did the whole thing and had to force him to accept a tip. Took about half an hours hanging about. No harm in trying.