Paul Neale

Front brake upgrades

Hey guys I'm looking for a upgrade on my 2.0 16v

I will be putting 17 inch alloys on so I'm thinking this could give me more room to fit A bigger upgrade.

The reason for the upgrade is that I'm looking at doing the 1.8 turbo engine conversion at some point or maybe just better cams and replacing head of the engine and keeping the bottom end.

Anyway enough rambling lol

The normal bolt-on upgrades are 288mm disks (off a Mk3 VR6/GTi) or 312mm disks which use the same calipers as 288s but with different carriers and spaced 6mm further out to accommodate the dished centre of the bigger disks. 288s fit under 15" rims (barely!) but 312s require bigger wheels - 17s would let them fit fine. You could go with 4pot or 6pot Brembos but the 312s will already pull your face off if you stop hard so there's not much point IMO!

I'll be selling my 312 setup soon if you're interested...

Stone

ooooh, just noticed paul's got a 16v. Score! They're only 4 lug aren't they? Doubting it now haha

I have an ABF head never used since it was completely refurbed with new guides and seals,complete with cams, new bolts and gasket set, if you decide to go down that route.

Best wishes

RB

I didn't think the 288's were a bolt on upgrade to the 16v's due to them being narrow track and 4 stud.

Thought most people went down the 280's from the G60's route, which i believe is the same calipers and carriers are the 280's on early golf's (or so i have been told. Yet to fit mine however going widetrack over winter so not sure it will come to it)