ShivasRegal

Eibach springs wont fit corrado vr6 storm 95/96..Top mount issue?

Hi guys...I hope someone can help. I have my car up on ramps and the garage installing my new springs from Eibach have said that the springs are wrong.

I have doubled checked with Eibach and they have said they have sold me the correct springs and that VW changed their top mounts at some point.

The garage have said the spring is too big and doesnt mate up, and that if I change my top mount, the strut wont fit. (I am unsure about this) Im at my wits end.

Can someone help me with part numbers? Is there a wider top mount that will mate onto original strut and help locate Eibach Spring?

Cheers in advance

Shiv

VagCat shows two different top spring plates. The part number for the larger one, which is approx 110mm in diameter, is 1H041234. The part number for the smaller one, which is approx. 90mm in diameter, is 357412341A. There is only one part number shown for the actual top mount which sits above the spring plate , so it would appear to be interchangable. Again, there is only one part number shown for the actual shock absorber. Check out the photo below for the different size spring plates.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1H0412341&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=674&noj=1&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=DnuKbrn5BXQ5mM%253A%253B0AUQLaLVALtjRM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fs816.photobucket.com%25252Fuser%25252Fburstlikeabubble%25252Fmedia%25252FCars%25252FP524RMR%2525252520VW%2525252520Golf%25252F20131122_114931_zpsc98534cc.jpg.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=DnuKbrn5BXQ5mM%253A%252C0AUQLaLVALtjRM%252C_&usg=__JP0QF20WcyraEOHe7F3DwgCr4-E%3D&ved=0CC4Qyjc&ei=TK2bVc-2BIWO7AbuxZb4Ag#imgrc=DnuKbrn5BXQ5mM%3A&usg=__JP0QF20WcyraEOHe7F3DwgCr4-E%3D

Later springs used a smaller top plate for better ride quality, all aftermarket springs use the wider earlier style spring plate.

Get some of those and you will have no problems.

Im just going down this route - I have 95 M reg VR6 will I need to get the larger top mounts if so where from and how much - do I need for front and rear?

Thanks

Im just going down this route - I have 95 M reg VR6 will I need to get the larger top mounts if so where from and how much - do I need for front and rear?

Thanks

Yes and front only.

Yes and front only.

Thanks Yandards - appreciated - do you know where I can get these and how much they cost?

Thanks Yandards - appreciated - do you know where I can get these and how much they cost?

VW Part number is 1H0412341 for the items you want, no sign on ebay aside from the states, not sure if VW still stock them, Heritage is another option or vwspares.co.uk list them on their site but no price.

Thanks Leon.... And ouch.... Found the smaller standard corrado top mount for 10 quid... That's just typical lol.

Does anyone have any of these - the ones on ebay are £50+ seems a lot - part number 1H041234 110mm top plates so I can fit the eibach springs to 95 VR6?

Thanks

You might want to consider buying the 10mm lowering ones that you can get as many complain the those springs can make the car sit nose-high

And as these are the same springs that are on the B12s - what have you others done?? - thanks

You might want to consider buying the 10mm lowering ones that you can get as many complain the those springs can make the car sit nose-high

Hey Supercharged - what do you mean?? the springs lower 25 mm rear and 30mm front.... or so I understand - these are same springs as on the B12 suspension!

Ah - maybe I got that the wrong way round - back in the day people used to complain that Eibachs didn't sit evenly but that might no longer be the case...

Have a search on here - lots of info!

Lol... Think 25mm is enough for me... Don't want to go too low and if front is 5mm lower than back can't imagine it being that noticeable. Just need to source the top plates. Not seen this mentioned before and loads on here fitted B12s

Some corrados don't sit well on b12s. Mine included. I've been having a 3 month battle with Eibach to send me out the correct springs and I'm currently waiting on a second replacement set to cure the rears sitting 60mm low instead of the 25. Fronts are fine though.

I've been left so disappointed with the ride and the general frustration and knowledge that my shocks are being trashed by the increased wear that the thought to sell up has been strong at times.

I swear to him upstairs that I will never touch another Eibach product so long as I walk this planet based on the total lack of customer service and blatant disregard for a customer who has been given the wrong product by their own admission. It's a known fault.

I can only advise that anyone thinking of B12s be very careful. Shame really as the products are normally pretty high quality, but not so on this occasion.

The springs i have bought are 2nd hand and apparently the car Sat well on them so hopefully they should be fine...... Once I locate the top plates. They are fairly new the car being written off and look to be very clean. ... Hope you manage to get yours sorted. Is yours a rare problem as previously saw good reports on them?

Not an unheard problem. Purple Tom had the same problem but it was cured a lot quicker then mine was. I think a lot of people don't realise they have a problem as it sits quite low and looks good if that's your thing. It should be 330mm from wheel centre to arch top. Give or take 5 mm depending on fuel load. Mine are 295mm

Hope you get sorted. Do they have a Facebook page... Always worth an assault via social media and to tell them your are letting the forums know.... Yeah don't want mine too low.... The quoted 25mm is just about what I'm after. Will spend this week trying to locate the 110mm top plates.if can't get them cheaper will have to buy the eBay ones.... Will let you know how it ends up

hi chuggs

are you fitting the lower springs to standard dampers or are you changing the dampers too?

reason I ask is it is unadvisable to fit a lowering spring to a standard damper as you will reduce the travel of the latter & it will not perform effectively or well

hi chuggs

are you fitting the lower springs to standard dampers or are you changing the dampers too?

reason I ask is it is unadvisable to fit a lowering spring to a standard damper as you will reduce the travel of the latter & it will not perform effectively or well

Fitting to standard dampers - couple of people mentioned on here they had done the same and that the ride was quite good still??

Just wanted to get a more acceptable ride height at the lowest possible cost withouit ruining the ride. - hope this proves to be true?

Are the rear top mounts the same for early and late spec corrados?

yep, no worries there, only dampers and springs were rated differently on the different years/models.