carrots

steering rack boots

Just fitted New coilovers and noticed both my steering rack boots have holes in them .they have lasted 12 months max how crap is that

Where did you buy them from? (I think I can guess)

This is why we always bang on about buying OE where budget will allow for it. Easier said than done I know, as I've often had to skimp on parts where VW prices were just in dreamland.

I've seen them destroyed by fitters tracking a car and leaving the gaitors twisted, always worth checking they've removed any twist after having the geometry done.

Unipart stuff is usually quite good

Yer I worked for unipart for years and the parts were good,what's the price about for genuine also are febi any good

ive priced genuine today about £22 each or i can get a pair branded amk for about £6.50,does anyone else have the problem of them ripping after 12months

Well i fitted genuine steering rack boots in july 2015.took it for a mot today and its failed on a boot.i am sick of doing um i must be on 4th set now

What is causing the boot to twist? There shouldn't be any reason for it to twist.

Typically, when a garage does an alignment, they turn the tie rod and if the boot clamp is tight enough, the boot will twist as well. If they don't correct it, that will hasten their demise as they get pulled back and forth when steering.