Sign in to follow this  
DORSET_V_DUBSTER

Whats wrong with the Z-Engineering superchargers............

I've read alot of bad hype about these S-chargers but no-one has ever really put their finger on the exact problems with these chargers. (or perhaps its just me :oops: )

I'm considering buying a VR6 with a charger fitted but I really need to now what pitfalls I can expect with this SC.

All info will be greatfully received.

By the way, hello to everyone as I'm new to this forum :D

Scotty

Nothing actually wrong with the chargers Im told in general although they are not as high quality as the vortex chargers - hence why people are moving over to them....

But the main problem is keeping the engine cool enough when running them.... at least thats what Ive heard.... a few people who have run these have had total engine failure due to oil / water temps getting too high...

Hi Scotty,

Welcome to the bestestest forum! :-D

I take it you haven't read through the supercharging the super coupe thread fully?

I think the subject of the Z charger was well explained (by me) I have a good interest in these and found out pleanty, but like Scott said the Vortech chargers are the best, take a look at mine in the other thread there are a number of pics in there, although not the full kit displayed, ceramic coated pipes, cosworth dump valve and much better software are just a few things that are incorporated in the much more comprehensive Vortech system kit!

VF-engineering are actually doing a trade up from the Z-charger to the Vortech one if you've got one.

They work well enough but you have to do a couple of things to keep them happy but they are limited in power delivery.

LowG, mines a Henry of Billy's brother and 5 little fellas! ok?

Using an inter cooler with the 'Z' or the 'Vortech' charger is very difficult by virtue of thier design and virtually impossible to get the gains expected from the G-Lader charger or a turbo, but a worthy alternative is water injection, and with a well set-up system you can remove upto 90% of the charge temp and that is way more efficiant than an intercooler plus water is free!

Chris VR6

you mean using an air to water intercooler. Well they are worth about 1.5k each and with as much little space you get on a VR it would be really expensive to design and fit one,would work really well as the piping would be shorter,but than you gotta hava water deposit so it all comes back to the dilema,you got to spend 4 or 5k for charger plus piping valves and stuff than another 1.5 tp 2k for intecooler. You will get about 300-330hp i asume with this set up but at the end of the day you just spend more or less £7k,plus i dont think VR can handle more than 300-330hp with stock pistons, rods and stuff but im sure if you got the cash anything is possible :twisted:

You should really add methanol to the water (60/40 mix usually) since squirting a water mist into the combustion chamber changes the flame front. Therefore you need something flammable to balance it out. That's what I used in my 16V Turbo and it was actually the methanol that did most of the cooling. Pour some on your hand and you'll see why!

Cheers

Kev

Kev,

Strongly beg to differ, I'm always open minded & don't mind getting proven wrong! :D

Tha last thing you want to do is introduce something flamable, all i can say is Stoichiometric A/F ratio!!

And you do want to change the flame front as this is the reason to introduce the water in the first place not only to cool the air mass before the inlet valve.

The squish area should really be measured and adjusted as this cools the filling volume and creates swirl effectively if designed right, as we know swirl is what it is all about (Ford CVH engine) but this can't happen once combustion has started, so retarding combustion (not timing) is the name of the game.

Chris

Chris, OK fair enough but I never had any problems using it in my engine. There is no harm in adding methanol to the water, in fact you WOULD need it in winter, otherwise the water will freeze, damaging the water pump. Most people use screen wash but I could get hold of 5 gallon drums of neat methanol at cost price, so used that instead. Adding methanol also raises the octance rating slightly, allowing further ingition advances.

I've just had a quick look on the internet about it and nobody says it's a no-no, so we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one mate :lol:

Kev

94 VR6