Bs6VR6

r32 sump, can it be repaired?

I spoke too soon, thinking I got away with just a new driveshaft.

Having noticed a very slight oil leak after getting the car home I decided to investigate yesterday and she was tight and leak free before the incident. It appears that during its travels to the garage and back they've somehow managed to dink the sump and being an alloy number a small crack has appeared. This is now allowing oil to weep out once warm. It's not leaking when cold so must need the pressure and thinner oil to occur. Not a happy bunny.

Question, as Volkswagen want £250 for a new one what are my options, can it be welded? Will metal filler be sufficient? There is no hole, just a very small hairline crack. I know there lighter but why would VW do away with the steel ones on the original vr6 my old one was battered to hell and never failed me once.

Any advice would be great guys.

Cheers,

Max,

I cracked the sump on my Mk4 18T about 8 years ago and repaired it with liquid metal. My son is still driving the car and it's still leak free ........... what have you got to lose by trying.