Chuggs1

Thanks Gloucester OX

Just a quick thank you to GloucesterOx (Ian) for his valuable time yesterday afternoon - taking a look at my sunroof problem we didn't find the problem - new motor didn't work nor did the switch. Not convinced its the mechanism in any way as intermittently it works in all positions - so im still thinking maybe there is a wiring fault maybe a dry joint somewhere??

Love your car mate - engine bay looks great and thanks for the drive out in it - sold on the B12s - great ride height and feel so - may have to sell the Eibach lowering springs I bought 2nd hand and see if I can save up quickly for a set.

Was also a nice opportunity to get a good drive out in my C and give it a bit of welly down the A417 - was very little traffic so had some fun and smiles.

Cheeers again mate

Oh and thanks for the cups of tea and thanks to your wife for entertaining Tracie while we dabbled

As above, Ian is a top bloke, one of the forums finest. Sorted me out with a glass sunroof and stored it in his shed for nearly a year, also makes a good coffee.

Rog.

Surprised he could fit it in his Aladdins cave of a (2) sheds.... Full of goodies

sounds like some good testing completed m8

id be interested to hear if you find the issue as the sunroof in my VR also works both slide & tilt but sometimes when i press the button nothing happens. then you get back in the car after 2 minutes & it works

regreasing with the correct silicone stuff made no difference but ive not tried a new switch as it does work but only when it wants to lol

ive made a mod so as i have an easy 'manual' operation for when it doesn't play ball......i cut a small hole in the plastic light cover so i can access the allen key winder ;)

Just bumping this so Ian sees my thank you

Cheers David, happy to help but frustrated also that we couldn't pin the fault down - Erratic electrical glitch is my thought as well!

Ian.

sounds like some good testing completed m8

id be interested to hear if you find the issue as the sunroof in my VR also works both slide & tilt but sometimes when i press the button nothing happens. then you get back in the car after 2 minutes & it works

regreasing with the correct silicone stuff made no difference but ive not tried a new switch as it does work but only when it wants to lol

ive made a mod so as i have an easy 'manual' operation for when it doesn't play ball......i cut a small hole in the plastic light cover so i can access the allen key winder ;)

Does sound like we have the same issue -= maybe someone else on here will see this and will solve it for us - When I press switch I hear the relay click just not always any result - but some times it works - as I say though the mechanism when it does work moves sunroof to all positions no problem

Chaps I had all the problems above - it worked beautifully with the Allen key so I swapped half a dozen motors, the wiring loom, the switch, greased everything up and everytime I thought yes that's sorted it, it would work maybe ten times then pack up. I swapped in a MKIII Golf mech and it's been fine for about two years now.

Chaps I had all the problems above - it worked beautifully with the Allen key so I swapped half a dozen motors, the wiring loom, the switch, greased everything up and everytime I thought yes that's sorted it, it would work maybe ten times then pack up. I swapped in a MKIII Golf mech and it's been fine for about two years now.

thanks for the input Jamie

when you say MK111 golf mech do you mean the sunroof cartridge itself but then swapping over the original rado top panel?

i might need 3 of the buggers if so lol

thanks for the input Jamie

when you say MK111 golf mech do you mean the sunroof cartridge itself but then swapping over the original rado top panel?

i might need 3 of the buggers if so lol

Yep that's it mate except I went for a B3 Passat glass moonroof conversion while I was at it. Funnily enough the "100% working" Passat mech I bought was faulty - glad I tested it off the car before fitting. I was going to use the word cartridge as that's what I would call it but it caused mass confusion when I was trying to help someone on Facebook :lol:

Yep that's it mate except I went for a B3 Passat glass moonroof conversion while I was at it. Funnily enough the "100% working" Passat mech I bought was faulty - glad I tested it off the car before fitting. I was going to use the word cartridge as that's what I would call it but it caused mass confusion when I was trying to help someone on Facebook :lol:

tidy thanks

the one in the VR is an odd fella though as im sure they guy i brought it off got impatient with his mechanic fixing the sunroof & had a brand new cartridge from VW not long before i brought the car off him

would i need to change anything else for the golf mk111 to work? eg the motor. or is it a case of remove the old cartridge, swap the metal lid onto the golf cartridge & then reinstall?

ive been putting off venturing to fix them as id heard they are a bugger to refit. the Bentley manual has alsorts about a mm drop here & not there etc lol

Exactly why I persevered for so long trying to put off replacing it mate - in the end I think it took a couple of hours, no more than a morning anyway. I fitted the complete cartridge including the motor then the panel once it was in. Having said that though, if it's had a new cartridge in the recent past I'm not sure I'd want to go down that route really. It's only £30 and a mornings work but still a pain in the arse if it doesn't solve it...

You won't be able to use the Golf cartridge as a direct replacement, as there are hooks on the Corrado front sliders to raise the interior trim when the sunroof is in the raise position. The Golf one doesn't have it as the interior trim slides back on that.

I used a Golf one as a donor for mine in the end. I can raise mine now, but still can't slide on the switch after trying maybe 4 used motors. Again, works a treat manually with not a great deal of drag at all once it starts moving. Its just overcoming the first resistance that seems to be my problem. :shrug:

Exactly why I persevered for so long trying to put off replacing it mate - in the end I think it took a couple of hours, no more than a morning anyway. I fitted the complete cartridge including the motor then the panel once it was in. Having said that though, if it's had a new cartridge in the recent past I'm not sure I'd want to go down that route really. It's only £30 and a mornings work but still a pain in the arse if it doesn't solve it...

i see. ok thanks Jamie

thinki will go through the history folder to see if i can find anything about the new cartridge. i did inspect the channels a few weeks ago & couldn't really see much of the grey scoring that happens as it wears that ive seen mentioned

You won't be able to use the Golf cartridge as a direct replacement, as there are hooks on the Corrado front sliders to raise the interior trim when the sunroof is in the raise position. The Golf one doesn't have it as the interior trim slides back on that.

I used a Golf one as a donor for mine in the end. I can raise mine now, but still can't slide on the switch after trying maybe 4 used motors. Again, works a treat manually with not a great deal of drag at all once it starts moving. Its just overcoming the first resistance that seems to be my problem. :shrug:

sorry sean, you say you cant use the golf cartridge but then said you used a golf one as a donor - which model pls m8

interesting that the issue persists though, i may just make my interior light cover cut out look better & stick to my 'manual' mod lol

sorry sean, you say you cant use the golf cartridge but then said you used a golf one as a donor - which model pls m8

interesting that the issue persists though, i may just make my interior light cover cut out look better & stick to my 'manual' mod lol

Sorry mate, didn't explain it very well!

I got mine from a Mk3 Golf too.

I stripped the Golf cartridge down, and removed the front sliders from my original and fitted to the Golf one.

Thats the only option if you want to retain the metal panel and interior sunroof trim. If you want the moonroof though, you can just go ahead and fit the Golf cartridge including the glass, and not bother with the interior trim.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.

I stripped the Golf cartridge down, and removed the front sliders from my original and fitted to the Golf one.

Thats the only option if you want to retain the metal panel and interior sunroof trim. If you want the moonroof though, you can just go ahead and fit the Golf cartridge including the glass, and not bother with the interior trim.

it does indeed make sense sean thanks

just to recap:

use a MK3 golf sunroof

if leave the moonroof panel it is a straight swap fit - is the moonroof panel the same outline as the rado one then im guessing?

if want rado metal lid need to swap the sliders (i have a feeling one of mine is broken on the VR)

does the mk3 golf use the standard late rado sunroof motor?

Not to me it doesn't Sean :lol: I'm using a MKIII cartridge with the original Corrado inner sunroof trim and it all slides perfectly. The inner panel moves with the glass or on it's own...

Not to me it doesn't Sean :lol: I'm using a MKIII cartridge with the original Corrado inner sunroof trim and it all slides perfectly. The inner panel moves with the glass or on it's own...

ha ha ha the plot thickens lol

Oh my... What have I started lol

a good discussion about best options to get us all out of our shared sunroof woe's lol

I can't help but think all the talk about the mechanism being a common fault has been a misdirection and there is something else electrical... If only we could solve it.... If the mechanisms work intermittently then surely it's something else.... But what and how to fix it????!!