EssexPaul

Oil Cooler & Radiator Replacement On VR6 Storm

Good Evening Guys,

I need to pick your brains as I have to replace an oil cooler and radiator on my Storm.

I went to buy one today but got stuck on a number of questions that the seller was asking.

For the VR6, do I need a 13, 16 or 19 Row Cooler?

Will I also need a new thermostatic plate and alloy heat exchanger cap?

I know that braided hoses are best but am not sure on the other parts:scratch:

In addition to this I need a new radiator to go with it. I have had a look online but bizarrely prices are around £60 but then jump to £140 plus. Does anybody know the reason for this?

It is very important for me to say that my Rado is AUTOMATIC and I am replacing these parts due to an oil leaker from the cooler.

Answers to the above as well as any advice will be most welcome

Thank you in advance:thumbleft:

EDIT - never mind, I missed the automatic bit! Could be completely different.

The oil cooler (unless you've an after-market additional one fitted) is just a small square item with two hose connections for coolant in and out that can be found near the oil filter housing at the front of the block. Readily available from VW or a number of third-party suppliers, you get what you pay for - check the brand. You will also need the oil cooler seals and hose clips when replacing.

For radiators, there is a recent thread on here if you do a search that mentions the Hella radiator for a VR6, gives the part number and the supplier. I have this fitted and it works a treat. You will also need to replace hose clips and the plastic top radiator elbow and seal, and while you're at it check or replace the radiator fan switch.

EDIT: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?91994-Advice-on-new-vr6-radiator-and-air-con-rad-plz&highlight=hella+radiator

Hope this helps.

Edited by fendervg

I did see a funny thing in a corrado engine bay the other day and looked like some sort of small radiator (hadn't seen it before) i wonder now if that was an auto and it was an oil cooler. Was on the bulkhead and looked to be coming out from the heater matrix (i assumed it was a heater matrix replacement bodge)

iirc the auto oil cooler is on top of the auto box. The jacket takes coolant from the main coolant circuit so you'll see two hoses coming off and diverting to the gearbox. You could blank off the coolant pipes extending the transmission fluid pipes to the front of the car and install the cooler there. You would only need a small radiator for it, even a 10 row would be fine.

Thanks for the tips here guys.

I have the car booked in with my mechanic now for the 23rd September. He is brilliant and has worked on the car for years. I hope everything goes ok. If he has any problems I shall divert him here!

@Jim Bowen, could that be part of an air conditioning system? Allegedly my one has but didn't know that until recently! Doesn't seem to be any controls for it in the dash though...?:shrug:

Even the guys from Autoglass knew a lot mechanically about the car! ....when I spannered the windscreen in July!:bonk: