Tom Hem

Engine over heating

Hi new to this site and the Corrado world had mine for about 3 months now 1991 g60

I have put a new intercooler on and thought while I'm pulling it all to bits ill put a new rad in there, was looking a bit sad. I drained the coolant installed new rad everything as it should be, coolant toped back up happy Gilmore, but. she is over heating fast.

I was reading a thread with a gent with the same problem it seems the top hose on the rad is very hot but the bottom hose is cold?

with the bottom hose being cold it doesn't seem to trigger the fan so she's over heating, and doesn't seem to be circulating the hot and cold coolant? what has I done wrong? the other gents thread went dead so there's no help there

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks tom

Hello there,

could be your thermostat is staying closed and so not opening at 87 degree. C, or it's an air lock, did you bleed the air out of the cooling system via the expansion bottle with the pressure cap off.

Si

I didn't reply to the FB thread as it all seamed to be covered . I would say as above , if the bottom hose is cold , my bet will be the thermostat . This happened to me on my VR . Steam pouring out of the header tank . I limped home , replaced the stat on the weekend and all was well .

Edited by robrado974

The bottom hose will remain cold until the stat opens btw. This helps get the engine up to temp, then at 87 degrees the stat open which circulates the coolant through the rad, and keeps the temps stable. To bleed, run the car up to temp with the expansion cap off. Rev to 2.5k rpm for 30 secs the let it idle for 30 secs, repeating over and over until up to temp. During the idle phase, squeeze all the hoses you can safely get to, to help push any trapped air out. When finished, turn off, allow to cool and top up as necessary.