Roger Chatfield

VR6 Oil temp sensor...location

Quick one for you,

Back along when I had engine problems I was seeing high oil temps, as it happens the engine had a problem and its that that cause the high temp but during investigation I discovered that the temp sensor is surprisingly accurate.

But, I think its possibly in the wrong location, its on the filter housing which bolts to the block, am I right in thinking the sensor with be subject to heat soak from the block?

Could I move it, I'm thinking of relocating it to the sump.

Anyone done this? good or bad idea?

Rog.

I've seen sump plugs which are hollow in the middle with a temp sensor sitting in them. It's a bad location in terms of road dirt and corrosion though, so you'd have to protect the wiring well. I'd say just use it as a secondary sensor - the readings from the filter housing will be more accurate anyway, as that's right in the oil flow as it gets circulated through the engine cavities. The sensor sits inside the housing, so I can't see heat soak being that much of a problem. What kind of temps are you seeing? Anything between 88 and 110 is fine under normal driving conditions in my experience, and a properly functioning cooling system will keep things in check.

Oh - and if you hit a ramp at speed you are likely to take your oil temp sensor out!

Edited by fendervg