16vMatt

Help identifying part

Recently my cooling fan has not been coming on which has led to my car overheating last week. I have tested the fan motor by wiring it to the battery with a switch and that works. The fuse hasn't blown. I did remove the part that I thought was responsible as it had corroded into nothing but I;ve misplaced it and I'm not certain of what parts to order. Suggestions please?

The fans run off a couple of temp sensors and the fan control module. Did you replace or test the sender in the radiator?

Unplug sensor from rad and bridge wires, you have stage 1, 2 and an earth. If that works it's probably that sensor.

If that doesn't work unplug black 2 pin sensor in thermostat housing and bridge them, that's stage 3 fan. If that doesn't work start looking for bad earth's or broken wires

b8f85f04c8af8676079c585e92a6ff58.jpg1fde742230efbc6e88f5ad72e8aad5d4.jpg these are two parts I've worked out I require any names please?

The brass part in the center of the second picture is the part in referencing

That's your radiator temp sender for the fan by the look of things (hard to see in context). For the plug, you can get them from VW but the part numbers can be hard to track down. You might be better off putting a call on here to see if anyone is breaking a car like yours and has the loom.