Rado87

Vr6 piston insertion tool

Hi, been a while since I've posted and apologies if this has been raised before. I'm rebuilding (slowly) my abv vr6 and the time has come to fit the Pistons. I have a tool but now realise that it is no good due to the angle of the bank! ( obvious now when you think about it!) anyone have any tips or tricks? I've thought about modifying my existing tool, don't really want to buy another as hopefully won't need it again! 😬 any advice gratefully received! Tom.

Hi tom the vw tool is now obsolete

You will need to modify your tool for the angle or speak to a friendly person who has a tool to see if you can borrow.

I did have one until I lent it out and never came back. Glad you posted this has reminded me to remind the person I would like it back!

I made and used this when I rebuilt a Honda engine.

Happy to post it up to you mate, you can modify it anyway you want then just send it back when you are finished.

Rog.

I finished up easing mine in without a ring compressor.

I very, very carefully pushed the rings in while very gradually pushing the piston in. It felt like I need at least five hands but I got there in the end.

I had no luck at all trying to modify a normal compressor and managed to break a couple of rings trying to use it.