Jim

Vibration comes up through the gearstick in 4th gear?

Been meaning to ask about this for ages but kept forgetting. A conversation with a friend at lunch time jogged my memory.

Ever since the rebuild work done on my engine, where I assume the gearbox came off and a new clutch was fitted (don't know for sure) I've found that in fourth gear in lower revs I can really feel like vibration / shaking coming up through the gearstick. If I hold it it's extremely noticeable. It doesn't appear to happen in any other gear. Any idea what the hell this is likely to be?

I'll have to take the car out for a spin to remind myself exactly how it feels as it's been a while since I was last looking out for this so can't remember the exact revs, and the level of vibration experienced!

that could be difficult to find or explain Jim

it could possibly be a resonance issue, such that when in that particular gear & at particular rev's something is hitting its natural resonance & causing your vibration

as it is gearbox related have you checked your front & rear gearbox mounts?

I have read that it is not a good idea to poly bush the rear gearbox mount (IIRC) as it can produce harsh vibrations due to them being too stiff

I guess it's quite possible it's engine mounts. Hmm. Wonder how hard they are to change. Time to do some searching through the forum :)

I guess it's quite possible it's engine mounts. Hmm. Wonder how hard they are to change. Time to do some searching through the forum :)

those too Jim

check gearbox & engine to be sure

My current C does that a little in 4th gear .like you say ,more apparent if you 'lean' on the gearstick.

It doesn't concern me , thinking maybe gear cable / linkage adjustment

Yeah - seems the same for me. It's just weird as it definitely never used to happen prior to the engine being out and doesn't appear to happen in other gears. I guess that would point it to an alignment issue?!

Check the gearbox mount first. I have the VAG gear linkage alignment tool, but you'd have to be in Ireland to borrow it. It's not too hard to adjust manually by feel.

In sure i read in the owners guide that comes with the c it says to not hold the gear stick unless changing gear as vibrations transmitted from you-gearstick-box can damage the linkage , not sure how and to be honest I'm guilty of it.