britpop95

Check your auxiliary water pump today !

Oreet friends, last night set off in the Corrado to pick the mrs up from a friends birthday do. Pulled up outside her house steam coming out the bonnet, turns out the plastic outlet that comes from the auxiliary water pump had gone brittle over time and snapped off , coolant everywhere tried plugging the leak but obviously being a jagged plastic hole not much I could do at 11 at night 😩

Yeah. I had to replace mine a few years ago. To be honest I think you can get away without one with no problems. Typical German over-engineering!

Ye I read about it not being absolutely vital to the cooling system and possibly doing away with it but then I read it takes pressure of the heater matrix, and if I had to replace that again I would fuming . I've seen the auxiliary pump on heritage around the £60 mark and doesn't look hard to change.

Very easy to change. You'll just lose a little coolant and will have to top up afterwards. One thing I found was that the rubber mount that the pump sits in didn't fit the newer replacement pump exactly, but it was easy enough to make it fit.

from what iv read some where , my under standing is its function is to circulate the coolant after the engine is shut down to maintain even heat distribution to avoid distortion, i.e uneven expansion/contraction {mainly in the head}, kinda makes sense i guess...

Bought and fitted one a few months back after finding mine has been in its death throes for some time. Bit cheaper than heritage - think it worked out about €61 (£45) shipped to the UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Made-in-Germany-Electric-water-pump-251-965-561-B-VW-Bosch-0392020024-039202008-/181867583631?

Great seller too. Shipped quickly with tracking details.

Definitely made a small improvement to my coolant temps.

Well guys the new auxiliary pump is now on very easy job . Some mole grips and a little pushing and nudging and it was in no problem. Now though... Haha when I turn the ignition on I can here water filling or circulating in the heater matrix ? Is this supposed to be a audible noise the heater matrix is only 4 months old I'm starting to wonder if my old auxiliary pump was even working?

Might be a bit of air in the system. Although am sure some slight noise is normal.

Do you samco hoses or similar?

I only mention the samcos as there is a non-return valve in the original hoses, which doesn't come with the samcos. Mine seems better after fitting my own valve inline.

Its inside one of the old hoses, (i'm told, didn't notice mine either), I bought an aftermarket one and fitted it.

20150830_172903.jpg

Can just about see it on the rear hose to throttle body.

Shiny! The non-return valve was a dealer recall item to stop people suing after the heater matrix dumped all its hot coolant on the passenger's legs. I think. Also often seen on MkII Golfs.

Actually that doesn't make sense. But it would stop more leaking out after the initial dump of coolant. Was definitely a recall item though.