Cressa

Heater matrix pipes

38ab2ef52220c63fabaeecb48ed30cb5.jpg

Hopefully this picture works.

I'm concerned that the left hand side pipe from the top of the engine block is in the wrong side of the heater matrix as it seems to be kinking the pipe. It's on a late VR, what do other people's do? Any help gratefully received. The previous owner has changed the matrix !! hmm

I've just seen how the picture has come out, so it's the BOTTOM PIPE I'm concerned about

Thank you. Mine is definitely wrong sided... I couldn't see vw having a kinked pipe. More problems soon to follow

Yep - looks like they have been reversed - mine have definitely not been touched since it left the factory 23 years ago!

blimey I hope I have put mine on the correct way on my valver

am I right that the feed to matrix hose connects on the right hand side pipe of the matrix as you look at it from the engine bay?

I checked Bentley manual but it doesn't cover the 16v but the SLC diagram did show the matrix feed being on the right

edit: the hoses are a different shape to your pictures of course though

Not sure it would really effect the operation of anything as its just water going around the matrix and back out

I don't think it effects it's operation either. Mine just didn't look right as the pipe is being forced flat on it's bend.

Not sure it would really effect the operation of anything as its just water going around the matrix and back out

kinda what I thought too Jim, they are kind of just a small radiator, but the valeo matrix I put in definitely had an arrow on top of one of the pipes showing the direction of flow

stupidly I didn't take a picture before I put it in but im pretty it was the right hand one as if from the bulk head side

Jim is probably correct here - the matrix is really only a radiator. But it will affect the temp of the water going in, and therefore the heating effectiveness.

Jim is probably correct here - the matrix is really only a radiator. But it will affect the temp of the water going in, and therefore the heating effectiveness.

hence my question as the heat output in the valver is nowhere near as hot as the VR

BUT I double checked the 2 hoses for their part numbers & they are fitted correctly as they wouldn't fit the other way round

I wondered if it took a few times of using the heater when a new matrix was fitted to let it bed in so to speak