Loucas

Oh why did i decide to get the donor car back on the road??????? lol

Hi everyone, i recently changed place of work so had to hand in my company van,this meant i needed a daily runner.

Ive had an aubergine g60 for 12 years, got it up to scratch and very reliable, then it stood for a bit waiting for upgrades that never materialised. I eventually decide to buy another one for donor parts, namely a Miltec exaust system. I hounded Miltec for years but they wouldnt make me a system unless i bought 10 units lol. Anyway i found a white g60 in Watford which had this exaust fitted, ended up buying the car to get it, crazy i know, but i wanted the exhaust. Plan was to swop with mine then sell the car on. This never happened and they both sat for 3 years

I decided that the white car was going to be easier to get on the road, wheels removed time to get discs and pads replaced, calipers all fine just floating guide pins needed a little lube, was surprised the rears hadnt seized !

Rear shock bump stops had perished so replaced shocks at same time, all going well so far.

Now time to get a bracket for n/s front bumber......oh no, obsolete. Sourced some rear buttons from vw heritage, removed front o/s bracket and mirrored the shape to get opposite hand out of 3mm alliminium plate, perfect fit, shame about the front end...... Seems this car has had a knock, jiggled the wing, bonnet a little to try and get clean lines, looks like that will need a little more work to cure

Bonnet cable release had a clip snapped at the lever so made one from brass (wont brake that one so easy) oh.....looks like they lost a part that engages the o/s release pin, cut down and drilled a 12mm frame fixing screw to fix that,now works fine. A car without a bonnet release was gonna drive me crazy and probably fail the Mot test.

The list goes on and on lol , car flew though the mot but not without lots of TLC and plenty of botches fixed, im still finding problems which were not attended to or not fixed properly, but hey thats life.

One day ill be able to stand back and say this car has cost me a lot of time, cost a bit to put right.

But what we have to remember is...... Its a Rado, they were meant to be loved, and thats why we do it !!!!!

Hope everyone is treating them well !

Edited by Loucas
Spellcheck lol

ha ha ha well done Loucas, good work!

the title of this thread very much is in line with thought I had having just got my valver back on the road earlier this year

along with the thought 'why did I buy it back as its cost me a pretty penny getting it road worthy again'

but then you get times like yesterday afternoon when I took it to a local tire place & had about 6 of their fitters crowded round it all saying very complimentary things & asking questions with great interest

not many kinda beat up 25 year old cars can do that methinks, good girl!! :D lol