richman711

g60 brakes binding after pad change

Hi guys

Changed the brake pads on my g60 today, I now have binding brakes due to what i think is partially seized pistons.

Basically the pistons the pistons just wouldn't retract, I think I should have just gave up and got new calipers but insted I got them off and used a vice to push them in.

Any now my brakes are binding, am I correct in thinking this is the pistons seized in the caliper?

Cheers

Edited by richman711

Front or rear ? Not sure about g60 but the front on a vr just push in the rear you need to wind. Did you try and push the piston in and out with an airline.

Fronts, I'm presuming it's not the wind type like the rears?

No I didn't try to push the pistons in or out with a airline, judging by how hard it was to push in it wouldn't have moved.

On previous cars I've been able to push the calipers by in with my hands, these were seriously tight

Rebuilding them is pretty simple. If the pistons have been out for a while and/or the seals have been breached, pushing the piston right in would have pulled in all sorts of dirt and rust with them. I'd push the pistons out with the pedal, clean, inspect and re-seal. Or just replace altogether.

The pistons are chrome plated, most by now are rusting and the plating peeling off.

Cheers for the advice guys

From ECP a set of front calipers was only £100 after the surcharge is detucted so I went for them:)

One problem I have now is that I think they have supplied late calipers in place of the correct early ones.

Basically the new ones are minus the small metal brake line and bracket that are bolted on two my current ones, any one know if I'm right?

Cheers for the advice guys

From ECP a set of front calipers was only £100 after the surcharge is detucted so I went for them:)

One problem I have now is that I think they have supplied late calipers in place of the correct early ones.

Basically the new ones are minus the small metal brake line and bracket that are bolted on two my current ones, any one know if I'm right?

Yes, you're best to just get a pair of later hoses to match IMO...

Ah cheers didn't know the later hoses are a straight swap with them.

Do you happen to know if the later hoses are the shorter ones of the two sold for corrados?