dythama

1990 1.816v exhaust smell in cabin

Hi, my 1.8 16v only has 66,000 miles on the clock and a feint smell of exhaust comes through the air vents all the time. Most noticeable on a long run and when in built up traffic or coming off a dual carriageway. Genuine exhaust fitted front to back, all in excellent condition. Removed exhaust manifold and replaced gaskets and still no improvement. Gaskets taken off showed no signs of leaking. Checked breather on front of block and all hoses look fine. There's no oil blowing into the air filter either. I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas as I'm losing patience to the point in thinking of moving the car into! In advance, thanks.

There could be a hairline crack in your manifold - but hopefully it's not that. Looks like you've checked all the obvious things.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think it's a cracked exhaust manifold. I'm told I'd definitely hear that and there are absolutely no leaks from any part of the exhaust - the primary reason I removed and replaced the manifold and Downpipe gaskets. There's no oil dripping onto the exhaust either. My VW dealer is suggesting I replace the crankcase breather hoses, but they're not perished or split either. I will change them as a course of elimination but I'm far from convinced. This was a popular and common engine, I'm surprised I can't find more possible causes on line. Your suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks

For reference mine smells when driving and even more so when coming to a standstill when leaving a dual carriageway or queuing in slow moving traffic.