Sign in to follow this  
VR6

remote central locking...

Anyone know of a good remote locking kit?

How easy are they to fit?

(Not bothered about an alarm really as the crime rate on fraggle rock isn't all that bad!)

i would go for the clifford concept 300 may even get a discount on yr ins as its a thatcham approved system.

Tom do as the man says I had my C fitted with a concept 300 fitted with the additional Intelistart for £400 (£300 without the intelistart) my insurance company insistead on a thatcham cat1 alarm and immobiliser when I first got my car and it saves me about 10% on my insurance premium each year so it is worth doing!!!

Or failing that Demon tweeks do a remote locking kit cant remember the name of it but last time I looked they were selling for around the £100 mark. Personally I would still go for the alarm mate you cant be too carefull these days bloody TWOCers .

Ok cheers guys - will have a hunt round and see what I can get the alarm for.

How easy is DIY install for a pretty much novice with electrics?

Ok cheers guys - will have a hunt round and see what I can get the alarm for.

How easy is DIY install for a pretty much novice with electrics?

I believe car alarms (especially ones like the Clifford) are best done by people who know what they are doing.. it ties in with stuff like the Corrado's auto full closure and things like that.

I would certainly not advise you to have a go if you consider yourself to be a novice! :)

I have a 1990 1.8 16V with a sigma cat 1 alarm which is compatable with full closure. But the full closure doesn't work. I was told that it was not possible to make it work on my car because it has a tilt/slide roof, meaning there is no one electrical command to give the roof to close.

Is this rubbish? If so is this something that I could hook up - how? I don't have any fitting instructions for the alarm. It was professionally fitted years before I got the car.

Hi Ross,

I have a '94 16v and I have full closure. BTW I have elec tilt/side roof with Clifford Concept 600 alarm.

Its bo!!ox you can't use full closure on cars with tilt/slide sunroofs, most cars have elec tilt/slide roofs and they have no problems. Probably a good idea not to take your car there mate.

This works on my dads BM also with elec windows and ilt/slide roof not sure if it will with the C but give it a go. Open the sunroof and windows and put the key in to lock the door as you normally would do but hold the key in that position do the windows and sunroof close?

Another point, an alarm is only as good as the fitter who fits it. Clifford alarms are good if fitted correctly but they are quite a hard alarm to fit. Make sure you get it done from someone who comes recommened. Other alarms to look into are Sigma and Meta come well recommended.

HTH

PS corradog60supercharged, The intellistart only cost £100 extra? Have they fitted it so it doesn't start up if in gear? Needed on C as the handbrake is sh!te

I think the full closure only works on facelift c's, the older ones dont close the sunroof with the key held and this is the signal that full closure alarms use.

When I bought my C (mar last year) the bloke I bought it from didn't have the door keys, he just used the alarm fob, and so I carried on the same. Also I have since de-locked the doors, hence I can't and never could do the key turn test to see if my car is full closure compatable. Is there another way?? (Its a 1990 1.8 16V)

If you are claiming an alarm or imobiliser is Thatcham approved for insurance purposes then it must be fitted by an approved fitter, otherwise the insurance company will not pay up if your C gets stolen. Most systems are very well integrated into the main wiring loom making very difficult for your an average car thief to bypass it. The Clifford systems also have a battery back-up so the alarm sounds even if the main battery is disconnected :lol:

Cheers

Mark

Try this one out then guys I had a clifford Concept 300 fitted when I got the car 2 years ago, I also had the additional inteli start fitted with it but when I activate the inteli start and get out of the car with the engine running and shut the door and alarm the car it doesn't lock the doors it only alarms the car, but when I alarm the car normaly it locks the doors cant quite figure that one out apperently there's nothing you can do it's something to do with the vacuum on the door lock solenoids. This is very annoying as I want to replace the drivers door handle with a passat rear one as they are de locked. has anyone got any experience with this problem I'm told it's only vw's and audi's that do it!!!

are there any alarm fitters on the isle of man?

Not bothered about an alarm really as the crime rate on fraggle rock isn't all that bad!)

are there any alarm fitters on the isle of man?

Not bothered about an alarm really as the crime rate on fraggle rock isn't all that bad!)

Don't know if there are any Clifford/Thatcham etc approved fitters.

The closest I think I'll get over here is an auto electrician, and even then there are only about 2!

This is one of the reasons I was looking at just a remote central locking kit. Fraction of the price as well - although there is the possibility of an insurance decrease.