Jim

Wanted: VR6 upper timing chain cover plate

Hi..

Just wondered if anyone had a spare VR6 upper timing chain cover plate for a coil pack engined VR6 for sale. I think I may have been too heavy handed during the removal process of mine and have either bent the upper or lower plate slightly meaning I cannot reinstall it correctly.

Thinking an easy way of confirming whether this is the case, would be to pick up another one and see if the problems I have persist. If I can confirm it's the lower one, then I will know it's easier just to set fire to the car and be done with it :)

Cheers.

Hey mate. Seems to be a small handful of people really coming through for me on parts lately - it's really appreciated.

Part number is 027109127B

Appreciated - but alas it does need to be the coilpack version. Cheers.

Hey mate. Seems to be a small handful of people really coming through for me on parts lately - it's really appreciated.

Part number is 027109127B

Happy to help and its why I hold spares :D Let me confirm the number this evening & ill come back to you.

Hmm... didn't realise that :( It was primarily really so I can see whether it's the upper plate or lower plate which might have become deformed somehow.. rather than actually planning to install / fit it. But that does limit my options somewhat if I can't actually use it if I find it's the upper plate which may be a bit bent.

Either way will still take it and then just work out my options afterwards.

If I put the top plate in place and attempt to screw in the two bolts that side on the underside (that bolt through the lower timing chain cover) I can only get them in a couple of turns before they basically stop and become impossible to tighten. However if I lean the plate away from the head at about 10-15 degrees or so, then I'm able to tighten the bolts up OK using my fingers no problems..

Are the pins are in the top cover bent? Lay it on a flat surface to check.

If straight you could run a drill down (or use a round needle file) the lower plate to true up the holes if the cover is not too distorted.

Keep at it, every day is a school day, you learn more from when things go wrong than when they're straight forward. :)

Hi mate - everything else seems to be aligned / straight so the suggestion of filing / drilling out the holes in the lower plate (if indeed it turns out to be a little deformed) is a good one, and what 2cc also suggested to me. Obviously with a heavily oiled rag sitting in the way of the timing chains to stop any metal debris getting in there.

I've got a new top plate on the way so am going to use that to simply gauge which bit (if anything) is bent and then decide on the corrective action accordingly. And already have a set of files on order too to potentially tackle the job.

Cheers :)

Hi mate - everything else seems to be aligned / straight so the suggestion of filing / drilling out the holes in the lower plate (if indeed it turns out to be a little deformed) is a good one, and what 2cc also suggested to me. Obviously with a heavily oiled rag sitting in the way of the timing chains to stop any metal debris getting in there.

I've got a new top plate on the way so am going to use that to simply gauge which bit (if anything) is bent and then decide on the corrective action accordingly. And already have a set of files on order too to potentially tackle the job.

Cheers :)

Don't be tempted to bend the casting, its likely it will break.

Coat the rag in grease and any fillings that find there way onto it will stick to it and not fall into the engine on removal of the rag.

Chin up :)

Definitely won't be bending the casting - no worries there. Appreciate the pointers / advice though.. this forum really is a life saver.

glad one on the way jim just noticed this because as you imagine I have a couple of these.

hope the build up goes ok so the love can return

Had exactly that problem with mine too, never really figured out why. I spat the dummy out, my mate persevered with it. Tried a spare one too with same problem. Certainly challenging these Vr's!

Had exactly that problem with mine too, never really figured out why. I spat the dummy out, my mate persevered with it. Tried a spare one too with same problem. Certainly challenging these Vr's!

Oh? What did you do to resolve mate?

The issue is with the plate in the correct place, the bolts that screw up through the lower timing chain cover, won't thread in. I get about two turns and then they're stuck. However if I lean the top of the upper timing chain plate away from the head about 10 degrees or so I am then able to put these bolts in using my fingers no problem. However if I do that, there are some like locating pegs at the top of the plate and then these refuse to go into place - the only way I can make the plate sit flush, is my not screwing those lower bolts in first.... and in that situation, I'm not actually able to screw them in at all.

Oh? What did you do to resolve mate?

Honestly don't know what he did, he didn't have time to modify anything, he just seemed to have the knack. I couldn't do it at all.

Sorry not much use but I do sympathise with your plight.

The idea mentioned earlier about skimming with the head seems to make sense.