Bfstrachan

Oil cooler covered in crusty pink stuff...

Photo of the back corner of my oil cooler. Guessing it's coolant leaked over time, but does this imply a faulty cooler or just a poor pipe connection?

Many thanks.[ATTACH=CONFIG]82749[/ATTACH]

Likely just been seeping from the pipe. The coolant crystallises and gives that pink stuff. Changing those metal clips for proper jubilee clips should do the job but check the pipes for cracks and splits.

I find the standard clips in the picure much better than jubilee clips to be honest. I've never known them leak provided they are fitted correctly, whereas Jubilee clips leak quite often, and are far more likely to damage the rubber hoses by cutting into them if overtightened.

Photo of the back corner of my oil cooler. Guessing it's coolant leaked over time, but does this imply a faulty cooler or just a poor pipe connection?

Many thanks.[ATTACH=CONFIG]82749[/ATTACH]

I've got a decent oil cooler if you need one, thought mine was leaking got new one, but when got off was just pipe, old one's fine and in garage, mint inside, bit bruised and battereed looking from outside but probs all are due to where they sit,

I've got a decent oil cooler if you need one, thought mine was leaking got new one, but when got off was just pipe, old one's fine and in garage, mint inside, bit bruised and battereed looking from outside but probs all are due to where they sit,

Thanks for the offer - I will be replacing the radiator tonight and flushing/checking over the cooling system while I'm at it. I will give you a shout if the cooler is needed...

could be corrosion on the metal inlet part of the cooler the hose is clamped to, once it gets all 'lumpy' the hose struggles to seal, need to drain some coolant off and investigate, eventually, especially if the correct coolant/dose hasn't been used for a long time the metal alloy can actually corrode right through and you get pin holes in the tube, so even if the cooler itself is sound and not letting water into the oil it will still be shot.

But have a good look at the hoses too, they could be past it.