charliemcdonald

2.0 16v ABF

Looking for some advice on cost of an ABF engine, and other parts required to do a conversion in my gutless 8v.

I ride bikes so not looking for big power or associated petrol costs. Just want more than I have the now.

I know folk will probably say just to buy a 2.0 16v corrado but I like the one I have the now and it's a clean solid motor. Just gutless.

been looking at full cars like Ibiza gti and golfs. Is they're any other ones I should be looking at as well or am I even on the right path thinking I can swap all that over?

Cheers in advance Charlie

Yeah I'd buy a mk3 Golf or Ibiza with rotten chassis/body for peanuts, and just use that as your donor. You'll be able to make a bit back by selling on other bits too so you may even end up in profit. Again you're on the right track though, it would be much easier to just buy a 16v and tbh the 8v is quite sought after at the moment, as it is a good daily for anyone wanting to use it for that, and it is the rarest of all models I believe! (Well, least amount sold originally anyway).

Cheers Sean, will keep my eyes open for a suitable donor, or see if an engine makes its self known.

I'd leave it an 8v because I use it daily but it's depressingly gutless bud. My brothers got a 20vt mk1 golf, another mate has a mk3 vr6, 2 other mates have mk2 vr6's an one of them, Kieran just went down south with my little brother Ebo the other week and bought a turbo that was fitted to a corrado for his vr mk2.

Another lad I know just killed his red VR corrado up here in Scotland on the M8 couple weeks back, rolled it out by a place called euro central.

I don't mind doing the work if I can pick a motor or conversion up, will save me parting with mine.

What all do you reckon I can use if I get a donor Sean?

Hi mate, I done this conversion to my 8v corrado as I had a golf mk3 16v which rotted from under me and the 8v was dying in itself.

It is a straight forward swap and in all honesty the worst part is fitting the engine loom to the cab. Also I had to fabricate an airbox as the mk3 airbox doesn't fit at all. Otherwise get a donor and grab the engine loom, transponder ring, and gearbox although the ratios are the same as what you have now, can't remember if the clutch is bigger on the 16v though. Grab the downpipe and exhaust to the cat too. The cat on the 8v is the same as 16v but lambda plug is different. May as well grab the bigger brakes 5 stud etc too and abs system as its all much better and easier to fit whilst the engines out.

Minimum is the engine, rear engine mount, engine loom, downpipe, Ecu De immobilized or with transponder ring and loom if not and the key obviously. Otherwise 8v stuff bolts up the same.

In all honestly the 8v had a much nicer pull to the car through normal driving but as you said gutless after 4k The 16v is more powerful granted but has a much poorer low down torque for everyday driving in my opinion but over 3k comes to life. Mpg is better on the 16v for me too which was a bonus.

Any specific questions let me know and ill try and help. There's a good guide on club gti about installing an abf with digi 3.2.

Craig