volksworld13

Headlamps like candle power!!

Hi guys just a quick one.

I'm needing a headlamp wiring/ relay upgrade, I would like plug and play kit with original connectors for dip and main. Can someone point me where to buy a kit, not sure if there is anyone on here making the kits still?

Cheers in advance

I made my own, it's not massively difficult but you do need to know how to keep the smoke in the wires..lol.

If you get no joy finding a kit I could knock you something up but it won't be until after Christmas.

Rog.

Hi guys just a quick one.

I'm needing a headlamp wiring/ relay upgrade, I would like plug and play kit with original connectors for dip and main. Can someone point me where to buy a kit, not sure if there is anyone on here making the kits still?

Cheers in advance

few options available

ebay, as per a post by Wesley

or a 2 relay one from rayne automotive - these ones have OEM connectors but only 2 relays (1 for dipped beam & 1 for main beam) - http://www.rayneautomotive.co.uk/31-corrado

personally, i have always used & favoured one of Zak's (user ID on here KUR2Y) 3 relay looms. i have one on my VR, one on my valver & fitted one on the gf's storm whilst she had it. i favour them as tough they do not have OEM connectors the triple relay gives you redundancy due to having 1 relay for nearside dipped beam, 1 relay for offside dipped beam & 1 relay for both sides main beam. thus if a relay fails, which they do from time to time, you maintain 1 side of dipped beam rather than loose both sides.

Zak has made a couple recently but not sure if any currently available - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?41616-Uprated-Headlight-looms-for-2013/page83

1 final thing, make sure you get a spare relay or 2 for whichever loom you get & keep in the glove box for emergencies

Oh & i also use Ring Xenon Ultima bulbs & they are superb!!

I built a 4 relay set up years ago and have never had one stick or fail, must be 15 years old now, the trick is to make sure you properly waterproof the relays and connections, like any OEM underbonnet relays/fuseboxes.

I went a bit overkill and used bare connectors with separate rubberised plastic covers (not the horrible ready insulated crimp things) and then located everything in a sealed electronics project box located in front of the battery.

I built a 4 relay set up years ago and have never had one stick or fail, must be 15 years old now, the trick is to make sure you properly waterproof the relays and connections, like any OEM underbonnet relays/fuseboxes.

I went a bit overkill and used bare connectors with separate rubberised plastic covers (not the horrible ready insulated crimp things) and then located everything in a sealed electronics project box located in front of the battery.

true - the main issue is with not protecting the relays from water ingress

I keep playing with designs for a box for them but in the 6 odd years it has been installed I have only had 1 relay failure on my KUR2Y unit

davidwort - did you use 4 relays so as eash side has independent relays for dipped & main beams?

... did you use 4 relays so as eash side has independent relays for dipped & main beams?

yep, at the time I had 100/80W bulbs in the main beams and when you have the spots added to that it's 160W per side, 320W total seemed quite a lot for one terminal to handle on one relay and I didn't fancy all my main beam (or dipped) cutting out if one fuse/relay went, so it seemed obvious to do all 4 independent while I was at it rather than 3/4 of the job with 3 relays.

I did only use one original feed for switch both sides though, but as this is only the switching feed now I thought it's not going to have much load so should be pretty reliable.

So I actually have 4 fuses and 4 relays.

yep, at the time I had 100/80W bulbs in the main beams and when you have the spots added to that it's 160W per side, 320W total seemed quite a lot for one terminal to handle on one relay and I didn't fancy all my main beam (or dipped) cutting out if one fuse/relay went, so it seemed obvious to do all 4 independent while I was at it rather than 3/4 of the job with 3 relays.

I did only use one original feed for switch both sides though, but as this is only the switching feed now I thought it's not going to have much load so should be pretty reliable.

So I actually have 4 fuses and 4 relays.

tidy david, i like it :)

If you are feeling creative these may help

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82785[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82786[/ATTACH]

Have tried to pm kur2 a couple of weeks back but haven't heard back yet.

i have his email addy Neale but wouldn't want to give it out without asking him if that would be ok first.

would you like me to drop him a mail for you or ask if i can give you his address?

i do know that he was extremely busy & working away with very little contact time

I made a loom ages ago and, like David, i put them in a black components box. Just one question though - i joined the wires to the headlight connectors by cutting the original loom and i remember that I wasn't sure about one of the wires to the connector ie it wasn't going to the main loom. So does anyone have the pinouts for the headlight connector so that the uprated loom is completely separate from the original loom except (obviously) power to the relays?

thanks

If you could send him an email please to let him know that would be great cheers.

morning Neale

no problem m8 will do. i will also ask if it is ok to give you his address so you can have direct contact

morning Neale

no problem m8 will do. i will also ask if it is ok to give you his address so you can have direct contact

Top man cheers.

Just out of interest, can you not have the headlight back covers on when using the looms?

headlight back covers?

depending on who's loom you get they either connect to the rear of the headlights using either an OEM type clip (same as factory loom type) or spade terminals connect to the corresponding spades on the headlight connector

the headlights themselves stay fully intact

This is what you want buddy. Just fitted one to mine. Works fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221235223569?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes cant fault these guys the loom is of good quality i have this fitted. I got a deal with better bulbs and the loom as well.

This is a link to the web site http://www.rayneautomotive.co.uk/

headlight back covers?

depending on who's loom you get they either connect to the rear of the headlights using either an OEM type clip (same as factory loom type) or spade terminals connect to the corresponding spades on the headlight connector

the headlights themselves stay fully intact

Thanks - headlight back covers (not sure of the technical term), as in the round plastic covers on the back of the headlights.

Yes cant fault these guys the loom is of good quality i have this fitted. I got a deal with better bulbs and the loom as well.

This is a link to the web site http://www.rayneautomotive.co.uk/

Fitted mine today and used Osram night breaker unlimited bulbs and wow what a difference! I can now see more than 5m in front of the car haha!

As above I made my own loom using 4 relays, the difference is very good.

You can buy the OE style head lamp connector so there is no need to have the rear covers open.

I did consider putting the relays in the actual head lamp unit, there is room for two relays in there and they would be 100% water tight but tbh tucked in beside the battery seems to work fine with no issues.

Rog.

I fitted one bought from this forum a few years ago. I retro-fitted OEM connectors and then encased the relays in a splashproof box. I think that last part is definitely worth doing. It sits by the battery compartment.

Thanks - headlight back covers (not sure of the technical term), as in the round plastic covers on the back of the headlights.

ahh i see

no, no need to remove any covers from the lights - just unplug the connector & then plug in either the new one or the spade ends accordingly