delfinis38

Trim removal tools

As of my last post need to remove the rear door cards...

Decided to buy some trim removal tools instead of screwdrivers...

I see while browsing eBay there is a variety of tools that I can buy...

Any one suggest a set of tools... Web Links maybe that will be useful for me to remove the door card.

Also removal guide maybe helpful... Don't want to butcher the leather.

Tbh Delfinis , you shouldn't need any . I don't know of any tools needed to remove the trim .

I'm trying to remember this from memory.

It's all self explanatory really . The seat belt black or grey trim needs to be taken off , the part that sits on top of the seat . There's a screw which holds this on , then feed the seatbelt through the gap ( you will see what I mean). There is also a screw at the bottom where the door cill is , where it goes to a narrow point . Other than that, there are two or three black or grey plugs , which just need unscrewing. The fixings that you mentioned in another post , will pull out of there holes where they push into . These on average are twenty two years old , so your right in buying new ones . Also the seat belt will need to be removed from its fixing where it passes through the door card . All in all its one of those jobs , that as you remove fixings you can see what else is in the way and stopping you taking it off .

As SI always says , hope this helps .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

yup agree with rob

shouldn't need any special tools for the rear door cards

you might need to get some new door card trim clips though as they can deform very easily - there is a pic & part number on this page of my build thread http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?44751-g0ldf1ng3r-s-VR-amp-1-8-16V-headlight-woe-s/page24&highlight=g0ldf1ng3r

in fact, i dont think any trim tools are required really for the rado. a 1/4" ratchet & extension bars are handy for dash removal but apart from that it is all fairly simply put together (very much unlike more modern cars!!)

good luck

To be fair a trim tool isn't needed. But the idea is that you get the clip in the middle of the tool which presses in the lugs and it pops out with little force which limits the chance of damage. As a fitter in a previous life I have done both methods and using trim tools are the way to go. Stocking filler for £8 wink wink mrs goldfinger.

The trickiest bit I find is getting all the clips lined up with the clamping holes which inevitably ends up with one or two deforming. I guess these tools might help with that?

Yes it will because when you use the tool correctly all the pressure is on the clip not the trim. If you tuck your fingers behind the trim and pull you can cause all sorts of damage like bending or breaking the clip brackets or even rip the card due to the pressure in the wrong place. I have been there. That is why the clips don't always line up on refit.