emu

Moving home to England

Me and my missus are thinking about moving our home from Scotland down to England. We've been living in Aberdeen our whole life and we have enough. Mainly due to very high cost of properties. We both working for huge companies having branches all over the UK so work transfer shouldn't be a problem.

What we are looking for is a nice place to live close to big city. We would be looking to buy a house with big garden and preferable double garage with some nice surroundings to walk our dogs, so we don't want to live in a city centre but no further that 10 miles away from it. Our budget to buy a house will be around £220k.

The question is: Where should we move. What would you recommend. So far we've been thinking about Manchester but we have our minds open to all suggestions.

Ever thought of hull ? Surrounded by countryside , if you live at the edge theres some nice quiet places and its about the cheapest place to buy if im correct , our two bed end of terrace with front side and large rear garden with double garage was 80k !! For 220 you could be in the sticks with only a five or ten min drive to hull

Its no where near as bad a place a people make out either !

You are both in a great position, as it doesn't matter where you are in the country, the wages will be the same . As opposed to someone like me who is in the building trade and the wage goes up and down depending on where you are . Have you considered the West Country? . It depends if you are a town sort of couple or country side or sea and beach . I have London and reading roots , moved to Devon fourteen years ago . I love it here , but I do miss the hustle and bustle of a big city sometimes and the money ! But it's cheaper to buy a house here .

Interesting to hear you moving completely away. Do you have any connections in England? I know my wife would love to move back up to Manchester but all our ties are here now so I don't think I could move to where we wouldn't know anyone one or have any connections.

I'd recommend Cambridge as the city has plenty of great villages in the surrounding area, but you'd have to at least double your budget for all that round here I'm afraid.

I've always liked the York area, very picturesque.

Ever thought of hull ? Surrounded by countryside , if you live at the edge theres some nice quiet places and its about the cheapest place to buy if im correct , our two bed end of terrace with front side and large rear garden with double garage was 80k !! For 220 you could be in the sticks with only a five or ten min drive to hull

Brought to you by the tourist info service of hull :lol:

Must admit I love a visit to yours mate :)

Interesting to hear you moving completely away. Do you have any connections in England? I know my wife would love to move back up to Manchester but all our ties are here now so I don't think I could move to where we wouldn't know anyone one or have any connections.

I'd recommend Cambridge as the city has plenty of great villages in the surrounding area, but you'd have to at least double your budget for all that round here I'm afraid.

York is indeed beautiful but pricey.

Some lovely areas se of Huddersfield. Last of the summer wine country and fairly well connected.

Some lovely areas se of Huddersfield. Last of the summer wine country and fairly well connected.

At some point I'm sure we'll end up moving back 'oop north! but probably Lancashire, Ribble valley I'd think.

Have you considered the England area bordering Wales or even Wales ?

Close and direct routes to several large cities. Lots of open space.

Dependant on exact location prices seem fair.

I would recommend my area, near Banbury which is also near ish to large cities.I really love it in these parts nearby to the Cotswolds, Oxford, Warwick, Coventry and Birmingham.

Sadly house prices start to rise when you get this far south (Banbury)as it is only a hour by train to London.

Good Luck in your search.

Brought to you by the tourist info service of hull :lol:

Must admit I love a visit to yours mate :)[/

Haha ball bag , if one thing is true it is cheap as chips

make sure you bring your swimming trunks as York is pretty much submerged!

North Yorkshire has some lovely villages minutes from main towns/cities. Im in Harrogate which is pricey but 20 mins from Leeds and York. Some really nice little villages literally minutes away from here too...

Had a look and I like lots of houses in there but my other half says no, its to small for her

I would recommend my area, near Banbury which is also near ish to large cities.I really love it in these parts nearby to the Cotswolds, Oxford, Warwick, Coventry and Birmingham.

Sadly house prices start to rise when you get this far south (Banbury)as it is only a hour by train to London.

Good Luck in your search.

Birmingham and surrounding area is on our list as well.

We have about a year to decide, we are planing to jump in a car around summer and drive down south and have a look at many places.

We don't have connections, just few friends living here and there, mainly her friends but I don't mind making new friends :)

Huddersfield sounds interesting, will have a look at the houses

Birmingham and surrounding area is on our list as well.

We have about a year to decide, we are planing to jump in a car around summer and drive down south and have a look at many places.

Be sure to let us know when as I am sure we will be able to arrange a mini meet too. :-)

Be sure to let us know when as I am sure we will be able to arrange a mini meet too. :-)

Thanks, definitely end of summer time, so still plenty of time.

Go as far south as you can afford-better weather!

Malta it is then :)

Leeds is a city worth looking at too. Great city and you could get a nice place with your budget...

Leeds is a city worth looking at too. Great city and you could get a nice place with your budget...

We are considering all places around Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham atm, but we are not restricted to those places. More important is the right type of the house within the budget.

One thing you'll notice is how much busier it is down there especially when you get around Manchester or south. I understand why your moving and TBH its probably a good idea at the moment. I often look at house prices etc and its still mental what you can get elsewhere for what your budget compared to Aberdeen.

Have you thought about even just a little further south like Dundee or Central belt so close proximity to Glasgow or Edinburgh?

From what Ive seen and experienced any of the nicer places down south that are relatively close to big cities are still quite expensive. Id say find somewhere that had a diverse job or industry catchment so you don't suffer from the issue that Aberdeen has.

One thing you'll notice is how much busier it is down there especially when you get around Manchester or south. I understand why your moving and TBH its probably a good idea at the moment. I often look at house prices etc and its still mental what you can get elsewhere for what your budget compared to Aberdeen.

Have you thought about even just a little further south like Dundee or Central belt so close proximity to Glasgow or Edinburgh?

From what Ive seen and experienced any of the nicer places down south that are relatively close to big cities are still quite expensive. Id say find somewhere that had a diverse job or industry catchment so you don't suffer from the issue that Aberdeen has.

I like Dundee but my girl doesn't want to move there. Glasgow and Edi will be fine, I'd prefer Edinburgh but is more expensive than Glasgow. Recently spend lots of time in Glasgow due to work and it looks all right to me and she likes it as well so why not.

Aberdeen is focused on oil only and now is really bad here. I lost my job, lots of my friends lost their jobs as well. I was lucky to find different one but lots of people are struggling now. Need to move somewhere with cheaper houses, better jobs opportunities and more things to do. Aberdeen is just boring :(