Sign in to follow this  
Eug

Which is the best induction kit for a VR6 ?

It looks no worse than any other induction kit..... *TUT*

Got a pic Scott ?

VR6 with RAM Air installed. Not only does it look like Micheal J but also like Larry Blackmon (right of photo) from Cameo. 1986 "Word Up!" for the young ones out there... :wink:

cameo01.jpg

Not only does it look like Micheal J but also like Larry Blackmon (right of photo) from Cameo.

:lol: too funny

heh - here is mine

quite a good hot air intake that! :roll:

Well the shield is being made as we speak and I have TWO 80mm diameter cold air feeds to it that are fed from the lower front grill........ as well as the original feed behind headlight....

These engines NEED more air....

I did a bit of searching last night and came across this induction kit by FK

which is available from http://www.performancedriven.co.uk.

Not badly priced at £49.95 and looks pretty big.

Has a double-cone too (ie open end):

74_lg.jpg

74.jpg

Need to see how much space is available behind the driver's wing ...

it doesn't make a noise on long journeys, only whan you have the throttle wide open. it's not like a poxy "big bore " exhaust.

if I drive it sedately (I can when I try) you'd never even guess it was a VR apart from the nice burble. but when you boot it, all hell breaks loose and it turns heads at 100 yards!

whether you like that sort of thing is up to you, but I f*cking love it, and I always drop a gear or 2 when going through a tunnel just so I can horse it right through and deafen everyone (as anyone who came to germany with us will testify).

I can't get enough of the VR induction roar, it's addictive. even better with the schrick on too, you can actually hear it change in note when the flap opens.

100% with you Phat. They are mentally loud when you want it, and very respectable when driving sensibly. IMO the K&N looks the neatest in the engine bay too, but is the look really that important?!

tut tut tut. get those filters OUT of the engine bay, you're killing the performance.

even with mine sat behind the bumper the intake air gets up to 31 degrees if I've been sat in traffic. just think how hot it gets under the bonnet!

f*ck the looks, it's there to do a job, so mount it properly and let it do what it's designed to do, i.e., get cold, clean air into the engine.

tut tut tut. get those filters OUT of the engine bay, you're killing the performance.

That's what I'm intending to do.

Just looking for a cheap filter to put on the end of the pipe.

It'll be behind the bumper so I don't care about looks.

Out of interest, what filter are you using and does it look about the same size as the FK one above in the pic ?

And where did you get hold of a cold feed pipe ? Make one ?

I've got the huge ramir air filter, sat on the end of the carbon cannister (whih I cut the ends off and cleaned out). this is sat in it's original bracket which brings it perfectly up into the engine bay.

mine than goes through a 90 bend which normally lives between the supercharger and the intercooler on a golf rallye, but I'm sure samco or SFS would make you one or already have something similar. than it goes into the MAF, anf theres and other bit of the carbon cannister and a section of black silicone tubing to make it reach the stock intake boot.

as a furthe mod, I'm going to ditch the PCV pipe and fit a breather filter, and bypass the throttle body coolant pipes. becasue these 2 things just tend to heat the air back up again making the CAI kind of pointless.

Right ... so you actually used the carbon canister as a kind of pipe then ?

Like the innovation ...

Seeing as the RamAir is so big I'm sure the FK one will fit on the end of the CC too.

Do you have to remove the bumper to insert the filter from underneath ?

yep, the carbon cannister is the perfect size for it, it's the same diameter as the intake tubing, and (surprise surprise) fits perfectly in the factory bracket too.

I already had the bumper off when I did mine. I guess you could do it with it on, but tightening up the jubilee clip would be difficult.

the air intake sensor fits quite neatly into the bigger of the 2 spare ports on the back of the filter too.

I'm going to make up a carbon splash geard on the bottom of mine, it's rather close to the ground...

oh, and I cut out the blanked off vents on the front bumper insert too, so the air can get at the filter. you could drill these if you're not too clever with a stanley knife, in fact, looking back I think I'd drill them instead of nearly cutting my finger ends off :cry:

will dig out the pics.

will dig out the pics.

Yes please - A picture is worth a thousand words.

I took my K&N panel filter out and put VW original back in VR6 after a "technical expert" said oil mist from the K&N will

affect smooth running of engine eventually.

I expect some of you will say bolx. I'd be grateful to hear some of your experiences and theories

This is much more of a prblem on foam filters like RamAir that use a thick oil to trap dust. Cotton filters like K&N don't cause this problem unless over oiled.

That looks superb mate - how DID you get your inner wing that clean! :shock:

I cant for the life of me remove this black gunk off mine... :cry:

I took my K&N panel filter out and put VW original back in VR6 after a "technical expert" said oil mist from the K&N will

affect smooth running of engine eventually.

I expect some of you will say bolx. I'd be grateful to hear some of your experiences and theories

This is mainly a problem with K&N 57i filters that are right next to the MAF sensor. The oil gets sucked onto the hot wire/hot film and buggers it up. A bit of isopropynol on a cotton swab will get it off though.

This is not the case with properly oiled panel filters, which are a lot further away from the MAF.

K

The RAM AIR has a samco hose to place it further away from the MAF sensor... :-P