MZpog

Leaky bits on the valver - where to look.

Seems I must have a small leak somewhere on the coolant system of the valver and I've had to top up the coolant a couple of times of late.

The carpets are dry and windows don't steam up excessively so I'm guessing (and praying) it's not the heater matrix.

Under the hood there doesn't seem to be any obvious leaks.

So what I'm looking for is some ideas as to where to focus my search efforts.

Stuart.

Have a look around hose connection points. The water may be evaporating off if the engine bay is hot, but you'll have a pink/white Crystal type substance left over which is the antifreeze. Other than that, thermostat housing or radiator are worth investigating further. Try to get you head around them all and underneath whilst the engine is running and up to temp so the system is pressurised, as that's the best time to notice anything amiss.

Thanks guys. No signs of the pink stains when I did my quick look, but will get it on the ramps soon to have a proper look.

Bottom corners of the radiator on any car2b189461949652fb9894c6cb9580e013.jpg

My other halfs A3 yesterday

My original radiator started to leak, but only when warming up. Cold - no leaks, hot - no leaks. Only discovered this when working on another problem in a cold garage and steam started to come off the radiator. Cold weather has it's uses sometimes :-)

Neil