Sign in to follow this  
Eug

Cheapest place for decent tyres ?

Just bought some TT rims off fleabay and need some decent rubber !

I want to fit some 205/40/17 tyres - anybody recommended any online places that deliver,

or somewhere in the North-East London/Essex area ?

Read earlier someone managed to get 4 delivered for £230 but can't remember who or where they were from.

My nearest tyre place will do them for £260.

OK the rims I've bought are TT 17" 6-spoke and they're 7.5 inches wide.

MR VR6's 15" Speedlines are 6.5" wide.

Does any one know if I can still fit a 205 wide tyre on them ?

Want to stick to the Plus 2 rule by going for 205/40/17 tyres.

If I put on 225 width like the standard TT then I'll either have to have a LOW profile like 35

or stick to 40 but have increased rolling radius which I don't really want.

donr go wider than 205 it will cause issues in terms of rubbing and ride comfort. 205/40/17 is the way to go.

I do want to stick to a 205/40 tyre, but will they fit on a TT's 7.5 inch wide rim :?:

I run 205 45 16s on my Corrado's Borbet C wheels which are 16x7.5, so they'll fit fine... 8)

Excellent Henny thanks buddy.

Will post pics once I get all sorted ... should look wicked !

They're polished too :twisted:

Cheapest place for tyres I've found so far is http://www.tyre-world.co.uk (certainly cheaper and quicker than mytyres)

Ordered 2 x Toyo's on the Wednesday morning and they arrived Friday lunchtime which was a bit of an unexpected, but very pleasent surprise :D

I used to get my tyres from http://www.mytyres.co.uk, but I found them to be really slow and I've heard that a lot of their stock is actually unavailable and gets ordered in from Germany (takes about 1-2 weeks apparently) :(

Hope this helps.

Pete

If I put on 225 width like the standard TT then I'll either have to have a LOW profile like 35

or stick to 40 but have increased rolling radius which I don't really want.

The width of the tyre doesn't affect the rolling radius....

You can fit 215s on a C without mods, and it only rubs when you really ground out in deep ditches at speed or heavily ladened.

I have 215/40/17s Toyos on mine. The 205s were too stretched on my 7.5in width rims, so went up a size to get the protection.

Plus Tyre-World don't seem to do Toyo Proxies :(

And Paypal payment? Blimey! Get them CF donations rolling in chaps... hehe

Camskill were really fast and cheap when I recently bought some tyres - £138 incl delivery for 4 195/50-15 Avon ZV3s, and they arrived at work 2 days after ordering! Spot on...

The width of the tyre doesn't affect the rolling radius....

I'm afraid it does - the profile of a tyre is a percentage of the tread width; so 205/40 have a profile of 40% of 205mm, whereas 225/40s have a profile of 40% of 225mm, which is higher, thus increasing the rolling radius...

gradeAfailure, I stand corrected!

Who needs a speedo anyway - get a Road Angel - lot more accurate no matter your rolling radius :)

erm, Andi, Boss, mate, you're wrong... :|

The side wall measurement (30, 35, 40, 45 etc) is a percentage of the WIDTH of the tread on the tyre....

A 195 50 16 will have the same (or very similar) rolling radius to a 205 45 16 or a 195 45 17.... a 205 50 16 will be quite a lot bigger rolling radius and WILL show up on your speedo readings... :|

(all numbers picked randomly to show what I mean...)

*edit* feck, I've not had that much to drink tonight that I can miss 3 posts have I?!? :oops: :lol:

Haha, Henny, looks like it! :lol:

Andi, yeah, I gotta borrow one of those cos I'm running 195/50s on the Passat when they should be 55s, so my speedo's waaaaaaaaaaaay out...!

Micheldever Tyres on the A303 has got to be one of the cheapest.

From memory late last year Toyo T1S was £48 incl balance, fitting, valves and Tyre disposal.

That was for 195/50/15

I'm looking to reduce my unsprung weight.. any ideas on light tyres?

205/40/17

aah the other elite price was from online and prob not TRADE price. i order from work and get discount, delivery was £6 for two 225/50/16's Hankook Ventus, £39+vat. i can check on the required size

those Proxes have to be had! I checked out blueflame who do exhausts and brakes and they have a type of cross drilled brake that is very light, will help with handling and maybe even acceleration, sorry not sure if they do a kit for the Corrado but maybe they will do a custom one or you can just fit a different VAG model one.