colwan

AP set up installed 😊

Just finished fitting my AP springs and dampers. First impressions are very good although word to the wise! It had #$it jom coilovers on it beforehand and so obviously needed spring cups for all four shocks! Don't be a tw@t like me and find yourself with the car jacked and having cut through the spring, trawling through your local scrap yard looking for spring cups!! Although I did make an interesting discovery. .polo 6n rear cups are identical to golf mk2/corrado ones! Lucky for me they actually had a mk 2! in so got the fronts (will be replaced with new ones still available from vw £22.50 each) so got them in and it's like night and day! While I know they are far from the cream de la cream £275 you can't really expect them to be earth shattering but I do like them good lift off oversteer and firm not tho hard or crashey and give a positive feel now I just need to sort the outer 100 things that are wrong! Shame I didn't get it ready for dub freeze. .ah well next year eh!

AP coilovers offer fantastic value for money and in our experience they box well over their weight. Their KW build provenance shows through in the ride quality. When we fit the AP kits, we coat them with waxoyl once we have set the ride height and alignment. This ensures they do not fall foul of corrosion issues when next one wishes to adjust them. We then annually clean the units and re-wax to maintain condition. The KW's of course are stainless steel bodied, so no wax required.

I hope you enjoy your new AP kit, they work well with Corrado and give good service life.

I fitted aps to mine about 3 months ago and more than happy with them.I don't even feel the need to avoid pot holes which also makes the drive experience more enjoyable. Couldn't recomend them highly enough.

Like the idea of waxoil I thought they had some sort of coating on them but I guess not.

The damper bodies are zinc and colour electroplated only. This plating is really more for show than protection and will corrode relatively quickly if not protected by a waxoyl coating. This is by no means something to harm their reputation or build quality, but the price must reflect somewhere and not fitting stainless steel bodies brings the cost down considerably.

The damper bodies are zinc and colour electroplated only. This plating is really more for show than protection and will corrode relatively quickly if not protected by a waxoyl coating. This is by no means something to harm their reputation or build quality, but the price must reflect somewhere and not fitting stainless steel bodies brings the cost down considerably.

Top man. I will get them waxoyl'd soon. I didn't realise they would corrode so would have just left them as is. Cheers

These AP coilovers seem to be a popular choice for the Corrado. I currently have the FK AK street £150 jobbies fitted on mine which came with the car.

The ride is very crashy and the back end seems to bounce about.

How do these ride compared to the KW V1 and the ST X coilovers based on handling and comfort.

The drop will be 1-2 finger gap all round, on 16" rims, 195 45 16 tyres.

Edited by GUS

Not wanting to be rude but there is no comparison between FK and the various KW trilogy of coil over suspension, in as much as the KW, ST, and AP product are at the top end of the spectrum. Get a ride in a Corrado equipped with one of these brands and you will instantly see what I mean. Furthermore your Corrado will be a pleasure to drive once equipped and properly set up, with any of these kits.

Not wanting to be rude but there is no comparison between FK and the various KW trilogy of coil over suspension, in as much as the KW, ST, and AP product are at the top end of the spectrum. Get a ride in a Corrado equipped with one of these brands and you will instantly see what I mean. Furthermore your Corrado will be a pleasure to drive once equipped and properly set up, with any of these kits.

I agree with the above. though KW are a more expensive solution they are more than worth it but suspension should not be skimped on

my current V1's have now done over 50K miles with no issues & I run a similar '2 finger' gap between top of tyre & bottom of wheel arch

my only caveat would be that in retrospect I would have put the extra funds to get the V2 version as they are ride adjustable as well as height.

alternatively I am aware that Kev Bacon on here knows of an excellent compromise whereby you can request a slightly softer spring rate with the V1's

finally, though it was over 5 years ago, I purchased mine direct from KW. I called them up & they matched the best price I could find

Fitted AP's on my daily to replace some crashy cheapo coilovers and they ride much better, but are still very firm. I find they get a sweet spot in ride quality when my speed increases.

I did look into those softer KW springs. The fronts are 60Nm and rears are 40Nm.

Compared to standard 70/50Nm.

But from what KW HQ advised me you cant get them fitted with the softer springs from factory, would just have to buy them separately.

May be some of you kind folk can take me for a drive at one of the next meets, its probably the only way I'll get an idea of what I think is acceptable comfort wise.

Oh and I was referring to how AP compared to KW V1 and ST X not the FK, I know the FK are complete ****e.