jekel

VR6 Brake Master Upgrade?

Could do with new clutch master, having renewed slave, and clutch seems past it's best.

Might as well put new brake master on at same time I'm thinking.

Some are selling 23mm ATE upgrades, worthwhile? Is standard 21mm?

Any other suggested upgrades? Or go standard?

It's got the later Golf/Audi TT , calipers on front and bigger discs, and mk4 Golf calipers discs on back, all brand new, but think piston size is the same?

I'm interested in this, I always thought the brake master was 22mm as standard? Others quote 23mm. I'm not sure there is an upgrade if the OE is 22mm due to the master cylinder / servo fixing studs being on the **** (we're stuck with the servo due to the pedal position sensor).

As you state the 288 / 280 have 54mm pistons and C and MK4 rears also share the same size 38mm pistons too.

It would be nice to reduce the pedal travel even if it means we need to press harder on the pedal to do so.

I'm interested in this, I always thought the brake master was 22mm as standard? Others quote 23mm. I'm not sure there is an upgrade if the OE is 22mm due to the master cylinder / servo fixing studs being on the **** (we're stuck with the servo due to the pedal position sensor).

As you state the 288 / 280 have 54mm pistons and C and MK4 rears also share the same size 38mm pistons too.

It would be nice to reduce the pedal travel even if it means we need to press harder on the pedal to do so.

Have just done a quick google it's saying 22.2 mm standard, and a companys selling new Meyle ones for 30 quid which sounds remarkably cheap, always found Meyle products to be good. Not sure how 23mm is an upgrade, bet that's 22.2 rounded up. Apparently a T5 Transporter one is 25.5mm which fits, but few saying bigger isn't always better. Don't take any of this as gospel, 5 minute google special.

I own a T5 so can check, but think that's a bit OTT. I also have a 24mm MK4 Golf master which also has the pin holes on the **** but has different spacing between the holes

All brake stuff is bored imperial sizes, hence the metric size to a decimal place, 22.2 = 3/4 of an inch? 25.5 = 1 inch. Its a bit cheeky to round up 22.2 to 23? But does explain my confusion. I personally would like to go up one size.

I had a 1990 MK2 8v, I fitted G60 front brakes and upgraded to a 22mm master with standard servo and they were night and day better than the VR6 even though they were identical size wise, the difference must be the Cs ABS?

Didn't Sean_Jaymo fit a MK4 one to his Corrado?

Ian.

He fitted the servo too, he already did the upgrade to passat abs prior

Yeah he had the teves20 system and fitted a mk4 servo & MC. From what I remember, he had a bit more pedal travel but more efficiency, although I imagine it could be a little snatchy like that.

Plot thickens, having had proper look at master cylinder mine looks like has 3 pipe outlets from resevoir, one to clutch 2 to ABS and only 1 brake pipe from master, and 1 bleed nipple at front/back depending which way you look at it. This is nothing like all the masters everyone lists for VR6 which all have 4 outlets from master.

Having quick look on here apparently these are now obsolete, but think the most common type on VR6's. Some Audi A4 ones can be fitted they reckon.

Could you just fit the 4 outlet one and use 1 for pipe, 1 for bleed and blank other 2, and fit the original resevoir, assuming same size?

I'd be happy to delete the whole ABS system, never liked ABS, and I'm sure like one bloke added it would work much better without, but probs too much hassle and might have probs with MOT, plus all ABS stuff works fine, unlike most.

On bright side loads of people on here having major trouble getting a clutch master cylinder for VR6, the one with clip fitting for pedal, everyone lists wrong one. Rang CTS, as one 5 minutes from me, described the right one and he had it for me the next day, TRW one 105 quid, he also had an LPR one for 56, he reckoned was good, but always found TRW stuff to be top quality. Fitted perfect.

Give them a try anyone that's needing clutch, always check the parts make with them first but, they do some good quality stuff, but never just go for cheapest with them, they do some total tat too.

The reservoir will have a flow and return to the ABS pump and a supply to the clutch hydraulics.

You should have a tandem master cylinder with 2 brake pipes to the ABS pump.

When I upgraded to a 22mm master on my MK2 I could only find a 4 outlet one, so I used bleed nipples to block off the 2 outlets that weren't needed