Thursdave

G60 cam belt change - stopping crank/engine turning when removing PAS belt pulley?

Howdy folks - struggling with changing the cambelt on my G60.

I've got 90% of everything off - Glader, alternator, waterpump, etc etc, but sadly one of the stupid internal hex head bolts on the crank power steering belt pulley rounded off.

Now, i've managed to chisel it back into shape, and i've sacrificed a suitable multi spline bit to the old gods which fits and doesn't round out, and all is well.

... EXCEPT! when trying to undo the bolt, instead of just undoing, it turns the whole freaking engine over.

How do i stop it doing this easily? I'm guessing best would be to get a socket on the central crank bolt, brace that against the ground with a long ratchet/breaker bar etc and trying to do it like that?

any other ideas?

ive only ever done it when the gearbox is off so made a locking tool that attaches to the flywheel.

your idea with holding the crank bolt may work but ive not tryed.( make sure it doesnt undo the crank bolt i believe it could in theory)

would putting the car in gear work, foot on brakes if its in the air/no wheels on?

Could you put a socket on the crank pulley bolt, then hold that down against something. Then try and loosen the hey key/socket for the PAS pulley.

Not done my self before, so it's a suggestion

Ended up putting an old bolt back in, and bracing it against the ground using a pry bar.

All sorted now, and this afternoon I have the joy of actually changing the cambelt D: