Jim Bowen

PAS pumps VR6?

Are there different versions for the VR6, its just the part i got looks quite different to the original, all the mounting points and pipe connections look in the correct place, not sure on the pulley alignment.

Just been to VW and he mentioned the VR6 pump produces more pressure.

Yeah, both mine are original ZF, one on my engine and one off a Passat 2.9 ABV vr.

Notice how the catalogue states 2.8 and not 2.9.. Might mean nowt but I wonder if the two were different.

And check out that price, £200+ for remanufactured pump! New how much?

At VW its nearly £400 with the vat, although he said can do it for £250 if i bring old one in.

The one i just bought was £215, but then got 20% off and £96 surcharge so ended up being an ok price.

i don't know if this helps anyone but after filling my system with the wrong fluid I had to change pumps and went with the one off the mk4 golf v6 4motion {as I had it laying around from the engine swap} , its clearly a bit different in terms of the body but connections are the same and on euro car parts the 4motions pump has the same part number as the corrado vr6's! {same pressure as well}, its been great! if you want a 2nd hand pump then one from the v6 4motion will be ideal, plenty about and newer...

p.s totally forgot to mention , if you have red steering fluid then stick with the exact same part number pump that you got, if its green then you can go mk4 pump as they also run green, I did have red originally but flushed it out for green as that is what I was led to belive was right but its not!! the result is it whines once the steerings warmed up due the fluid being way thinner then the red stuff, so fitted the mk4 pump to get myself out of that problem

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Jim, I've got you a load of photos, problem is that the forum's photo

System won't allow me to upload, too many photos.

Send me your email and I'll send them through.

Just dump them up on imgur.com - totally free and unlimited.

Veedubbed, thanks for the offer etc, but i know what the standard pump is like. More worried about the pump i've bought being wrong.

Got some pics of it

20160323_193840.jpg

20160323_193853.jpg

20160323_193908.jpg

20160323_193920.jpg

VROWNER85: interesting to know, mine has green fluid and has always been green. Going to look into the pump i have, i had a quick google and it was showing up as a golf pump.

I tried but i can't get the thing to accept my phone, all it wants is computer downloads.

what am i doing wrong?

That pump looks quite different than my two i have on photo too, maybe just the colour that's confusing me.

My pump's number is 357155C, ZF7691955117. 95Bar.

Edited by VEEDUBBED

Well replaced the pump. All went well, apart from me thinking it only had 4 bolts holding it on and spending a while hitting the pump with a lump of wood and hammer until i realised it was 5 bolts :lol:

I still have the noise, so guessing now it wasn't the pump. Not a waste, steering feels a bit lighter and original pump was 21yrs old.

Not sure what is making the noise, i can't pin point it, but something to do with the aux belt side, alternator is quite new, water pump was brand new from VW, tensioner was also new but INA brand.

Hoping it not engine, i will run engine without the belt to see.

Could still be the pump. They can take a little while to quieten down and fully bleed themselves. Have you tried lots of lock to lock steering with the engine running to bleed it?

Be interesting to hear what you find when you try running it without the belt. Could of course be the belt itself, but presumably you replaced that with a new VAG item during the rebuild?

Yeah, pretty much everything on engine was new, was only the PAS pump that was original, which is why i first thought of that.