Alty

Oil Cooler Advice ?

What are you guys using if you have replaced the standard G60 oil cooler ? Would like to think I would be pushing for 250bph+ So should I go for the 19 Row cooler on this link...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-GTI-MK1-MK2-MK3-CORRADO-16V-G60-SCIROCCO-MOCAL-ENGINE-OIL-COOLER-KIT-RL-/151712128437?fits=Model%3ACorrado%7CCars+Type%3A1.8+G60&hash=item2352bf5db5:g:erkAAOxyRhBS0ANl

Or any other recommended coolers ?

Thanks in Advance

What are you guys using if you have replaced the standard G60 oil cooler ? Would like to think I would be pushing for 250bph+ So should I go for the 19 Row cooler on this link...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-GTI-MK1-MK2-MK3-CORRADO-16V-G60-SCIROCCO-MOCAL-ENGINE-OIL-COOLER-KIT-RL-/151712128437?fits=Model%3ACorrado%7CCars+Type%3A1.8+G60&hash=item2352bf5db5:g:erkAAOxyRhBS0ANl

Or any other recommended coolers ?

Thanks in Advance

That's the exact kit I bought for mine. The only issue I found was that you have to retain the original Oil-Water cooler (due to the fitting/unions provided). To get rid of the oil to water cooler you also have to buy this: http://www.onlychargeddubs.co.uk/products/oil-filter-short-threaded-union-g60.html

Performance wise, my oil sits around 100-104 driving normal. and rises to 110 maybe 120 if I push it. (Stage 4 ported charger, with a 65mm pulley). However I would take those readings with a pinch of salt....as im not sure if the temperature sensors are genuine VAG, and also my oil temperature rises by 10 degrees if I switch my headlights on :-)

That's the exact kit I bought for mine. The only issue I found was that you have to retain the original Oil-Water cooler (due to the fitting/unions provided). To get rid of the oil to water cooler you also have to buy this: http://www.onlychargeddubs.co.uk/products/oil-filter-short-threaded-union-g60.html

Performance wise, my oil sits around 100-104 driving normal. and rises to 110 maybe 120 if I push it. (Stage 4 ported charger, with a 65mm pulley). However I would take those readings with a pinch of salt....as im not sure if the temperature sensors are genuine VAG, and also my oil temperature rises by 10 degrees if I switch my headlights on :-)

Did you go with the 19 Row or ? Ha, Life saver I would of missed that!

Lancia delta integrale's version, the long BEHR version but even the 1.6 twin cam's one's good.

Takes a fair bit of modification to fit though.

Did you go with the 19 Row or ? Ha, Life saver I would of missed that!

It was a 13 row actually! Have just checked now.

It was a 13 row actually! Have just checked now.

Hmm... Ok Thanks :-)

Looks a good price that :)

What's disadvantage of leaving old cooler on too?

if you leave the standard cooler then that kit has everything you need, however the standard "longer" filter doesnt fit properly as it hits the cross-member, so you have to get a shorter Mk2 filter i think. I read somewhere that leaving both on was more of a false economy as you heat the water up or the water heats the oil up, and its not really needed when you stick on an external cooler. My only worry was that when stationary, with no air flow through the cooler, oil temps would increase. But i havent had any issues at all.

Finally, by removing the oil to water cooler, you also remove any chance of the cooler breaking and getting oil into water, or water into oil.

Finally, I have just remembered as well, if you remove the oil to water cooler, you also need to get the different cooling hoses to bypass it (also on OCD): http://www.onlychargeddubs.co.uk/products/oil-cooler-deletion-coolant-pipes-8v-g60.html

This is on my to do list this year i was hitting 124 in fairly normal driving last night.

so if i read this correct you need the oil cooler kit as above

the short union to remove the water to oil cooler ? is the original too long ?

and the bypass water pipes again if you remove the water to oil ?

you'll also need to pay 19.99 more for the thermostat in the plate

essentially £200 quid all in ? but you then need to re-fill your G12-13 coolant ,oil change and filter

If you do remove the water to oil im guessing you can stick with the normal oil filter then?

sorry for all the questions i just want to get all the parts i need and do it over a weekend

Edited by northG60

if you leave the standard cooler then that kit has everything you need, however the standard "longer" filter doesnt fit properly as it hits the cross-member, so you have to get a shorter Mk2 filter i think. I read somewhere that leaving both on was more of a false economy as you heat the water up or the water heats the oil up, and its not really needed when you stick on an external cooler. My only worry was that when stationary, with no air flow through the cooler, oil temps would increase. But i havent had any issues at all.

Finally, by removing the oil to water cooler, you also remove any chance of the cooler breaking and getting oil into water, or water into oil.

Finally, I have just remembered as well, if you remove the oil to water cooler, you also need to get the different cooling hoses to bypass it (also on OCD): http://www.onlychargeddubs.co.uk/products/oil-cooler-deletion-coolant-pipes-8v-g60.html

This is on my to do list this year i was hitting 124 in fairly normal driving last night.

so if i read this correct you need the oil cooler kit as above

the short union to remove the water to oil cooler ? is the original too long ?

and the bypass water pipes again if you remove the water to oil ?

you'll also need to pay 19.99 more for the thermostat in the plate

essentially £200 quid all in ? but you then need to re-fill your G12-13 coolant ,oil change and filter

If you do remove the water to oil im guessing you can stick with the normal oil filter then?

sorry for all the questions i just want to get all the parts i need and do it over a weekend

Yep that sounds spot on. if you want to loose the standard cooler, you need the union and bypass pipes, this allows you to stick with the long standard G60 filter. If you keep the standard cooler, then everything in the kit works, you just have to by the shorter oil filter too.

I didn't go for a thermostat plate, so it does actually take a bit longer for my oil to warm (probably a good idea to get the thermostat plate actually!)