16vMatt

Removing Wiper Mech

Recently my wipers have been getting stuck and the motor is whirring away to no effect. I'm completely stumped on how to remove the wiper mech to see the problem. There's no room to manoeuvre so surely something has to come off before I tackle the removing the mech. 6c6e3cd7f7c329c00ea420f9796a54b1.jpg

Disconnect the white connector and remove the three screws on top of the gearbox housing first to see that the motor pinion is not loose. If ok then you need to remove the wiper arms, unscrew the base nuts (17mm iirc) and washers (make a note of the washer sequence).

There are a few more bolts which hold the wiper chassis in place. Undo these, drop the wiper spindles downwards and then remove the mech completely. Shouldn't take more than an hour to remove.

You will have to take out the whole mechanism. First remove the wiper arms and behind them are 2x 21mm nuts which need to be removed then you are left with 1 13mm bolt near the drivers side suspension turret. With a bit of a giggle it will come lose and pull out. Now you can get to the motor.

Cheers chaps, new wiper motor fitted and wipers are working as they should. Next thing is to change them to something which will clear the screen sufficiently 👍

Cheers chaps, new wiper motor fitted and wipers are working as they should. Next thing is to change them to something which will clear the screen sufficiently

I've changed mine for the Lupo upgrade and it's well worth doing, pricy though at £190 but well worth it. There's a VW dealer selling it as a kit on e-bay which is where I had mine from.

Or the much cheaper option of e30 arms which is what I've fitted and work so much better than standard and look more oem.

I'll grab myself a set of e30 arms then on Monday when the shops are open. Cheers fellas

I bought mine second hand off flee bay paid £17.

I bought mine second hand off flee bay paid £17.

I'll have look later on there. Just got to fit a new rear abs sensor. Save starting a new thread how do I go about getting to it? I've heard that they're under the back seat but want to be sure save wasting time removing the seat for nothing.

The plug is under the back seat, and passes through a grommet. The sensor may be a bit of a pig to get out. I'd suggest removing the disk so you'll need a new split pin. You should be able to bang the old one out, the clean up the seat in the stub axle before popping the new one in. Pretty easy, just a little time consuming.

Thanks will tackle that when I get home. Then just got the heater matrix and bodywork to sort out👍. Happy Easter