Tizedes

Idle problem

Hello,

Maybe many people already have had this problem and someone can help me.

I have changed my control idle valve (vag.com says it does not work properly) and is is makes some changes on a car.

Positive things : The car much more powerful

No cold start problem

No bad smoke

Negative thing : Idle is a bit higher 1000rpm, touch the accelerator stay on 1100rpm anyone knows why?

Accelerating, put the gear neutral and when does it starts dropping back the rpm stops on 1500 rpm couple of seconds and after goes down really slowly.

Any helps much appreciate.

Thanks

I had a simalar problem and Vag Com said it was the ISV but after changing it made no difference to my car. I later found out that if there is a problem with the idling it can throw this error up as a general fault rather than it actually being the ISV so it can fool you.

The blue temp sensor can effect idling as this sends data to the ECU about thempratures but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who knows more than me.

May be the throttle body wants cleaning?

Thanks for your answer. Where i can get the blue temp sensor? If it not too expensive not worth to try change it?! I have cleaned the throttle body two month ago. Might i have to do it again.

You can get one from a dealer or off the net for £24.00 or so but make sure you get an original VW part not a reproduction one as the quality of reproduction ones are questionable.

Try cleaning the throttle body again and if not see if you can get your hands on another one and swap it out and try.

Hello,

Maybe many people already have had this problem and someone can help me.

I have changed my control idle valve (vag.com says it does not work properly) and is is makes some changes on a car.

Positive things : The car much more powerful

No cold start problem

No bad smoke

Negative thing : Idle is a bit higher 1000rpm, touch the accelerator stay on 1100rpm anyone knows why?

Accelerating, put the gear neutral and when does it starts dropping back the rpm stops on 1500 rpm couple of seconds and after goes down really slowly.

Any helps much appreciate.

Thanks

You might find it evens out in time, my understanding is the ECU will re-learn the right settings as you have been running off so it has been trying to compensate. You could do an ECU reset (take the battery leads off for about 15 mins and then go for a VARIED drive) and see if that helps. Just replaced the blue temp sensor on mine (I sinned and got a Haas one from Eurocarparts, part no: 224440221) and it has caused major improvements - take the plugs out and have a look, if they are black or there are deposits on them then it is running too rich and the sensor is probably faulty. If it is difficult to start in the morning, it will be too lean and the sensor again is likely to be faulty.

I was getting a Lambda fault on VAG-COM where as the fault was actually the sensor to reiterate John's point, fault-codes are only a guide to something amiss in the system as a whole, do the easy relatively cheap stuff first!

Thank you for your answer. Do you know which blue sensor fits in my car from eutocarparts or gsf? Because that sensor what did you used doesnt fit in mine.

Thanks

It's in the front of the block , if you are facing the engine it's on the left . There are three senders, you may as well replace them all while your at it .

Thanks Robrado, Do you have any picture about it, where are they?

I know It is a shame but I am not sure.

Thanks a lot.

The blue sensor won't effect the idle like that. Easy to check anyway, simply disconnect it, it'll revert to a set 70 degrees, so try that first.

Most likely thing that is, is that someone has adjusted the dashpot right up to compensate for a ropey ISV and dodgy idle .: now you've put a new ISV on it's running OK and dashpot is far too high. Check that first which will cost you nothing.

Second most likely is the TPS, that will kick the idle all over as described if faulty.

How can i check it? And where is the blue sensor. I know it is shame but I rally do not know. Ecu have reseted, throttle cleaned again, everythings are same 😔

After a various ride everythings are same idle is high but whet it starts droping back the idle is not stopping. If i push the pipe from the isv to the air intake the idle go back to normal.

If thats the case I would check the connections and have a look at the other vac hoses too .

I have done already. Used contact spray every electric connection. Replaced one vac hose. Anyone around Middlesex how can do a qouck look on my car?

How can i check it? And where is the blue sensor. I know it is shame but I rally do not know. Ecu have reseted, throttle cleaned again, everythings are same

Sorry just seen ya question. Simply unplugging the blue sensor will make ECU default to 70 degrees and give some idea. If you've a multi meter ohms test it, there's a table on here somewhere as to what should read at diff temps., think 100 degrees is about 50 to 100 ohms or something.

The TPS can also be tested with ohmeter. Disconnect plug, at no throttle should read about 100 or so again, rising to 300 - 400 fully open. That might be 3000 - 4000, again google it, think setting I normally use on ohmeter is bout .65 throttle closed 3.65 fully open from memory.

Sounds like probably your ISV anyway from your last post, I have a couple of known good spares if you need one.

P.S. Check dashpot, check the £0.00 fix first!

Thanks for your long description Jekel. It is really useful. But i am a really new owner so i am learning at the moment and i have some more qouestion if you do not mind to answer it. Where is the blue sensor? Do you have any picture about it? And what is the dashpot? I have a multimeter so i will check the details at the weekend if i can figure out where is the blue senor. Thanks again

Thanks for your long description Jekel. It is really useful. But i am a really new owner so i am learning at the moment and i have some more qouestion if you do not mind to answer it. Where is the blue sensor? Do you have any picture about it? And what is the dashpot? I have a multimeter so i will check the details at the weekend if i can figure out where is the blue senor. Thanks again

Hello, the blue temp sensor is at front of engine just to right and lower than intake manifold where the 6 pipes curl round if know what I mean. There's 3 yellow, blue and black, can't miss them.

The TPS is atached to side of throttle body, left side from front, electrical 3 pin plug on it, again can't miss it, only thing close there is a 2 pin connector which is a redundant heater ekement or something which only applies to N. Americam market I think, on a standard set up.

Can't remember which pins to check but it'll be obvious just connect till you get an OHM reading.

Blue sensors are cheap and easy enough to change but a used VW one is prob. better than a new aftermarket one unless it's a good one.

Hello, the blue temp sensor is at front of engine just to right and lower than intake manifold where the 6 pipes curl round if know what I mean. There's 3 yellow, blue and black, can't miss them.

The TPS is atached to side of throttle body, left side from front, electrical 3 pin plug on it, again can't miss it, only thing close there is a 2 pin connector which is a redundant heater ekement or something which only applies to N. Americam market I think, on a standard set up.

Can't remember which pins to check but it'll be obvious just connect till you get an OHM reading.

Blue sensors are cheap and easy enough to change but a used VW one is prob. better than a new aftermarket one unless it's a good one.

Hello,

I have founded the TPS. But i still could not find the blue sensor i have taken some picture where it is should be. Could you do a qouck look please. i do not want to be annoying. Sorry.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83833[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83834[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83835[/ATTACH]

Thanks

Hello,

I have founded the TPS. But i still could not find the blue sensor i have taken some picture where it is should be. Could you do a qouck look please. i do not want to be annoying. Sorry.

Hello, no probs., sorry but I can't get those pics to open, probably my work (civil service) system here, gov. security systems getting a bit overactive in certain secure depts.

It's part of the plastic thermostat/coolant thing at front right of engines, follow the top hose from radiator go down and left and you won't be far away. If in doubt google blue temp sensor VR6 and look on images and someone will have a pic. If for any reason yours isn't blue, a. it's the wrong one and b. it's the middle one of the three.

Know where the fuel pressure regulator is, right and front of inlet manifold? Few inches under that pretty much.

Cheers Guys. But mine is 2.0 16v. I think i have found it. On mine it is a different place and it has a white plastic connector. Tomorrow i will order a new bosch and i hope it is sort out my idle problem. I will post if does it help or not. Thanks all the helps!

Edited by Tizedes

Hello,

**Update**

Ecu temp sensor have changed. I have a slightly higher idle :(

But something what i have realized (before and after the sensor changed same). I can play with the idle i put in a 1st gear pushing the brake and starts lifting up the clutch. The idle starts going down around 950 - 1000rpm.

Does it help to find the problem?

Any help much appreciate.

Thanks