dr_mat

Recommendation for basic bluetooth headunit with easy peasy fitting?

In my experience those Nokia ones are getting to the age now where they seem to blow quite easily. I've replaced them several times in my Corrado's with other ones from breakers and they've gone and done the same again a few months down the line. Just replacing them with something better is the better option I think, if you want to listen to more than Radio 4 on your stereo.

4" in the door too. Dash only houses tweeters by default. The old door pods had Nokia speakers in but the cones don't travel very far, which is presumably why they don't offer much in the way of bass extension.

Don't know what the original rear speakers are I haven't looked yet.

you can fit the 5.25" Kappa's in the standard door cards, i have them in the VR as mentioned.

it is a bit of a squeeze depth wise & you have to thread the passive crossover into the recess in the door pocket but they make the sound much different up front

one of the issue with the rear speakers is that they have a relatively small surface area due to the shape of them, as such they will always struggle to really perform well

i put a small mdf 'plank' on the underside of my parcel shelf, to add rigidity, installed the Kappa 6*9's & then recovered over the top with acoustic carpet. note - NOT acoustic CLOTH as that is too thin & will sag over time. whereas if you get the carpet nice & tight, its not really carpet just quite a bit thicker than the cloth, it wont sag.

the 6*9 Kappa's really are fantastic

In my experience those Nokia ones are getting to the age now where they seem to blow quite easily. I've replaced them several times in my Corrado's with other ones from breakers and they've gone and done the same again a few months down the line. Just replacing them with something better is the better option I think, if you want to listen to more than Radio 4 on your stereo.

Yes, it's the coil has gone on mine and I imagine others would be the same after this time (being slammed with the doors won't help). I'm not expecting hi fidelity but a basic OE style full range replacement will sound a ton better than even a fully working original Nokia (roll off about 4khz). I will investigate the rears but mainly because one of the tweeters is blown back there..

I, also, quite like radio 4 sometimes... :)

Edited by dr_mat

Rears are 6x4. Only 6x4s readily available worth buying in the U.K. Are the Phoenix Gold ones. But even they barely fit properly. The alpine 6x4 E-types are rubbish and will pop. Best bet for you. Is to get some JL Audi 4" TR's or C2's as these both come with a 6x4 adapting plate. However. Both are a very tight fit. Barely fit. Tbh 90% of what you hear will be coming from the fronts. So I would ditch the back all together. Or buy some e types and turn the bass of complete so to run them as an addition set of high frequency cones and tweeter. The. Spend the money you didn't spend getting really good quality fronts. I personal recommend the JL Audio 5.25" C2 awesome sound. And components so come with lovely tweeters for the dash. THese also Come with cross overs. So further separation and clarity from high end frequency to bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazed to find the pioneer receiver actually supports CD text! I have literally never seen that work before...

So I spent a (happy?) hour stripping off both door cards yesterday and replacing the door speakers with something that works. So I'm happy. It was a fairly easy straight swap for a pair of "5 inch" speakers, though the mounting spigots in the door pod were slightly too thick so I had to bend the speaker frame a little to accommodate.

To save time I also bought a couple of ready-made connector cables that have a VW style socket on one end and push fit spade terminals the other. For £2.95 delivered I figured it was worth the time saver.. :)

So, all now working and definitely sounding better than it was before. And bluetooth hands free! Dead useful.

hardest part youll find is having to fit the microphone for the hands free on any bluetooth model. best thing to do it go from rear of stereo to bottom of windscreen pillar, take pillat of, run it up with ex wiring tuck in in the roof lining and have it clipped onto the lining just behind the rear view mirror. Pioneer are ok, bit fancy, flashy colours, user interefaces are way to complicated ans **** ti live with. also they look a bit naf imo. kenwood good brand nice units personally alpine all the way. for what you want, simple and nice looking i would go for an alpine CDE-183BT model is a year or so old now so wont cost you too much overall fantastic all round unit with built in parrot system, an actually integrated parrot system not some re made own system. then has 3 x pre outs if you want to run anything from it and the user interface is soooo user friendly and overall just a lovely unit! DO NOT be tempted by any unbranded stuff, it may look cheap and appealing and the advery said it was good, but its not, its awful and is NEVER relaiable or good. always sh it and wehn something goes wrong, you cant get parts, no1 knows how to fix them, there is no wiring diagram and there is no customer support as the brand does not exist. so year, kenwood or alpine, i would go alpine.

Morning, do all the advanced bluetooth alpines have Parrot? I cant see any mention of it in the description.? this would be a great feature for me, its a long time since I've bought a head unit for a car.. I'm sure it used to be more straight forward... LOL!

I like this one... https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-cde-178bt_p-31178.htm?nosto=productpage-nosto-2

But as far as I can see.. no DAB :s

Yeah, DAB is still a premium. That's why they pushed back the switch-off of FM again..!

I just clipped the microphone onto the dash binacle surround, facing the driver. Those I have called seem to think it sounds pretty clear.

I would say one thing as a negative about the Pioneer, however; I find the bluetooth playback DEAD handy and the quality is alright (for a noisy 1995 car it's arbitrarily good), but the playback sometimes glitches to *change speed* slightly. Presumably the player is running ahead of the phone so it has to slow down to refill its buffer, and vice versa sometimes its buffer is filling too fast and it needs to speed up. This is the worst implementation of this I've seen though, I've never perceived the steps on any other bluetooth audio device. It does work though, and it'll do.