daniboy1_2_3

G60 rear brake help

Hi, I've got a little problem with my corrado G60 rear brakes. I've fitted new discs and pads but there is a large gap, approx 13mm between the new pad and caliper when caliper is slid over to one side. This means the piston will have to come out 13mm before any braking takes place. My pads are 15mm thick and I've found 17mm pads but this will still leave me with a 9mm gap. Any suggestions?

With the handbrake off, grab the handbrake lever and work it too and fro to make the piston protrude further from the caliper body.

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm aware that operating the brakes will take up the gap. In my experience there shouldn't be much more than a small gap when fitting new pads. You run the risk of the piston coming too far out once the pads wear right down. I'm wondering if this is normal and if not what's wrong?. Are there different discs as well as pads available for the G60?

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm aware that operating the brakes will take up the gap. In my experience there shouldn't be much more than a small gap when fitting new pads. You run the risk of the piston coming too far out once the pads wear right down. I'm wondering if this is normal and if not what's wrong?. Are there different discs as well as pads available for the G60?

The thicker pads will only have more friction material bonded to the steel backing plates, so it will only delay what you have now. What type of rear calipers are fitted? Standard, MK4 or maybe other?

The only way to make sure the pistons wont eventually pop out of the caliper body is to remove the pistons and measure for all eventualities maximum pad wear, disk wear etc and calculate the amount of piston remains inside the body of the caliper.

Maybe a pic of the caliper could give clues to what's going on?

Can't seem to upload any pictures but the calipers as far as I'm aware are original corrado g60. They have lucas 38 stamped on them.

I've measured the gap properly and it's less than I thought, around 7mm. With the thicker pads this would leave around 1.5mm either side which is probably okay.

The pistons are something like 60/70mm long. I dont think your piston is going anywhere.

Once you've pumped the brakes a few times, the piston should adjust itself to take up any slack against the discs