Sign in to follow this  
G60

Z-Rated Rubber

i'm ready to drop some cash on some top of the line tyres. i'm looking for ultimate handling in the dry.. but i don't want to end up around a post in the wet either.

what have you guys tried and what has worked out the best?

i'm running dunlop GTs in 195-50-15 and they're ok. i'm going up to 205-50-15 this time (thats the right size, right?).. i figure i'll have some rub to deal with, i imagine the PO fit 195s because of it, and i just stuck with that size when i did the fronts only last summer.

So many tyres these days are superb in both conditions. I've found that Bridgestone Potenzas are good in the dry and in the wet. RE720s are the budget end and the SO3s are the high end ones. They are superb in the dry and take a lot to squeal. They also have a rim protector to prevent kerbing scuffs.

I've currently got RE720s on mine (were on there when I bought the car) and so far no complaints at all. If you want the ultimate wet weather tyre, look no further than the Goodyear Eagle F1.

Kev

94 VR6

thanks again kev.

just heard back from my 'source' and here is what i got.. prices in canadian:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Goodyear Eagle F1's - not available in either 195 or 205

they suggest GS-D3's only available in 195's - $165.17 each (not installed)

205 - not available

Pirelli P Zero Nero - not available

Dunlop SP Sport 9090 - not available in 205's - 195 are $137.00 ea

Bridgestone S02/3 - 195 - $263.00 EACH OR $285 for 205' s up to 2mos to get them?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

does this sound right? you can't get goodyear eagle f1s in 205 50 R15 or 195 50 R15??? and what about the others i supposedly can't get??

i doubt that they are 'not available'.. probably 'not available to my source'.. which blows sinces it'd be a lot cheaper to get them through her..

any thoughts?

Are you certain you really need Z rated tyres?

The letter is used to define the maximum speed that the tyre is likely to be subjected to - i'd say the Corrado needs no more than V (for the 16v) or W for the G60 & VR6.. Z rated's are for cars doing speeds in excess of 190MPH, and I can't see a G60 doing that without some enormous work doing on it! :)

haha... i don't know if i "need" em... rather.. i "want" em!!

basically.. i want tires that will take full advantage of the amazing handling that my car has... right now the dunlop GTs are letting me down. they're ok, but i squeel em all the time.

i want to make sure when i buy something that it will grip like a mofo and not let go.. and that i won't be disappointed. i figure, i'm spending all this money on the car.. and aren't tyres one of the (if not *the*) most important thing??

maybe i'll settle for W-rated.. :?

You certainly can get F1s in 195x50x15 size as I had them on my MK2 Golf! I'm pretty certain they're available in 205 section to. Certainly are in the UK at least.

I would go for 205 section tyres anyway, a little extra rubber on the road never hurts :lol:

The trouble is, a lot of performance tyre manufacturers now consider a 15" wheel to be 'out of scope' where performance is concerned, so the really nice tyres tend to start at 16" up to 19 or 20"!

Kev

I wouldn't use the speed rating as a rating for the quality of handling for the tyre. Yes, Z-ratings will hold together going at 190mph - but that doesn't mean they'll grip any better at 60mph going round a corner in the wet.

good point andi.

after working at the stealership i learnt how to tell how much a person cares for their car.. the tyres. when you see Z-rated rubber, the car is always well cared for and usually v nice. when you see cheap shit like kumho's or whatever, the car is usually trashed and hacked. i've come to look for the 'Z' on the tire as a mark of a well-cared-for vehicle. but, you guys are right, unless you're goin nuts, 'W's should be fine for most people and i'm leaning towards them now.

i thought V rated took them up to 149mph so in theory no standard C should need more than that.

Paul,

The VR can get to / past 150MPH as I am sure a few members have discovered on here. Not only that, I wouldn't really want a tyre that could handle 150MPH on a car with a top speed of say 148MPH.. i'd prefer to go to the next band along to be safe.

who said the car is standard? far from it :p

and after the rebuild brings 18psi and the 0.717 5th raises my top speed a fair bit.. well, i'm agreeing with jim here. W is minimum imho. :thumbleft:

nothing like that. if i'm going to push the car's limits, i want the tyres to be up to snuff. better safe than sorry. 8)

Paul,

The VR can get to / past 150MPH as I am sure a few members have discovered on here.

Maybe that's what the speedo shows, but on a standard VR the true speed will still be no more than 145 MPH at most.

If you're running a heavily modified setup, and will be doing long stints at above 150 MPH, then yes, I would feel safer with Z rated rubber.

Whilst calibrating the speedo on my VR recently (on an airfield!) I noticed that an indicated 120 MPH was actually 115 MPH on my GPS. As has been mentioned in another thread, legally the speedo can be 10% over-optimistic anyway.

good to know that its over-optimistic and not under-stating when i scorch past the coppers :lol:

i won't be doing long stints at 150mph haha! goin for W rated. good enough for me, its still a higher rating than original spec.