Jim

Coventry Moto Fest - Saturday 4th June, 2016

Folks..

Another great little event we're struggling to drum up any interest for and wondered if we could get any interest here? This event had it's debut last year and I think it's fair to say it surprised all of us who went.

Coventry city centre becomes one great big car show, with a large portion of the ring road closed off for racing cars, classic cars, drift cars to thrash around, and the main centre a big static display for all sorts of cars - mostly retro and modern classics. The crowds were astonishing - I think half the city turned out for the day.

JS64896579.jpg

aece6a11-7d94-4ce7-a66d-00179a39e2c4.jpg

We had a good club stand with about 7-8 cars I think and towards the end of the day, we were all invited out onto a parade lap on the closed section of ring road where I think it's fair to say we all got to give our Corrado's a bit of a work out :) I've had the pleasure of hitting comparable speeds on the ring road once before in my youth, but shortly afterwards had to have a conversation with the police... so to be able to do it again, and be encouraged to do so, was a real blast :)

It's a really unusual, but really enjoyable event located dead central in the middle of England - and well worth a day out.

A number of us "locals" will be going so happy to meet up outside of the city and guide you in via the prescribed route, so you don't have to worry about follow sat navs and closed road diversions!

The website, to get a flavour of the event is here:

https://coventrymotofest.com/

Cheers.

Would like to get to this Jim but i'm at Stonor this weekend.

Shame, Darren - maybe next year? :)

It really is a fantastic event. Almost the entire city centre is taken over and of course a good couple of junctions of the ring road for the racing circuit. I believe it will be even bigger this year, so really can't wait.

Of course the beauty of it being in the middle of the town is you're not beholden to pay show prices for food and drink either - all the normal sorts of outlets are there for you to pick up a reasonably priced lunch, etc :)

Would like to get to this Jim but i'm at Stonor this weekend.

Oh yes be rude not to especially as stonor it's only a few miles from me.

Edited by delfinis38

I can't make this, this year, but it looks great and one for next for a change. It'd be nice to make use of that horrid ring road! Crossing four lanes on an X on a Friday night isn't a great experience!

http://www.allvinylexperience.com

I can't make this, this year, but it looks great and one for next for a change. It'd be nice to make use of that horrid ring road! Crossing four lanes on an X on a Friday night isn't a great experience!

The ring-road is awesome! :)

If my car is ready, ill be there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This sounds and looks amazing, never seen it before! I think I'm heading up to Dubs Mania on the Sunday, so may have to come along to this as well!

Will let you know

The event is on all weekend, but we're hoping to have a club stand for the Saturday.

It's not like an open circuit thing. The circuit is 'closed' and only open to booked attendees doing demonstrations, historic motorsports cars, etc.

The only thing regular attendees like us can do is go on the parade lap at the end of the day - and it's total luck as to whether you end up in enough of a gap in the cars, so that you can open the taps a bit. I got held up in normal traffic going from the static display to the parade lap, so when I got waved onto the circuit, I basically thrapped the pants off the car.. but even then you only get a small section of the ring road to play on. That said it was worth waiting the whole day to do it IMHO :)

I did notice that some folks were going round multiple times however.

So I wouldn't come expecting to be able to have a little time at the end of the day to thrap the car on the ring road, but there's a good chance that you might :)

Any idea what time this starts winding down? Just trying to get my timings right. Cheers

Any idea what time this starts winding down? Just trying to get my timings right. Cheers

Are you looking at attending for the whole day?

Are you looking at attending for the whole day?

Well it all depends on what time it finishes? I'm hoping to get over to Dubs mania Telford way on, for before 10 so I can get into the campsite.

Well it all depends on what time it finishes? I'm hoping to get over to Dubs mania Telford way on, for before 10 so I can get into the campsite.

Oh I see :) Yeah you should be on your way by about 6pm at the very latest I'd say, and Telford isn't too far up the road :) The website explicitly says the display areas must be vacated by 6pm and indeed if you need to leave earlier, you are allowed to - you're not prohibited from leaving until a certain time or anything.

You can register to display your car here:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/coventry-motofest-classic-parking-parade-lap-040616-tickets-21261551874

I'd suggest doing so, and then we could all meet up outside the city centre on the morning and convoy in so we get to park Corrado's together?

Won't be attending this weekend, seems my electrical problems just keep getting worse, fuel pump is now out of action, will need this weekend to fix this issue, sorry

No worries - good luck sorting the car.

No worries - good luck sorting the car.

how was it Jim?

did you get any pics or videos?

i liked your post about the car designer who owned a rado :)

how was it Jim?

did you get any pics or videos?

i liked your post about the car designer who owned a rado :)

It was good mate, though I was disappointed we didn't manage to get more than one Corrado there! Unfortunately neglected to take any pictures this time around.. I ended up cycling into town (to avoid the traffic chaos) so didn't take my camera because of the bulk :(

It was good mate, though I was disappointed we didn't manage to get more than one Corrado there! Unfortunately neglected to take any pictures this time around.. I ended up cycling into town (to avoid the traffic chaos) so didn't take my camera because of the bulk :(

ahhh ok jim

glad you had a good time. great idea cycling up there. TBH it was the traffic getting to & from the event that kind of put me off. i have been in cov on a bad traffic day & that was awful enough lol

i had seen a video of the Vulcan from sunday on FB but not managed to watch it yet - which day did you go?