Mongbow

Light Steering

Hi all,

I'm new to the Corrado fraternity and have recently bought a 92 G60. One problem I have is that the steering has started to feel very light. Is this a common problem and any ideas on what to look out for?

Thanks in advance

Check your tyre pressures first. Get the wheel alignment checked next.

Tyre pressure is all good. Seems way too light to be wheel alignment but I'll give it a go. Thanks

When you say 'started', how do you mean? We've got a Golf R, Mini Cooper and a T25 camper - the steering on the Corrado is the lightest by far - has been for the 9 years I've had it.

We only got the Mini the other day and the difference is incredible between that and the Corrado. Everything you go back into the Rado after a while in something else, you always think 'gosh this is light'. Def getting lighter or just noticing it's lightness more now you'd settled in with it?

I thought it would be light but this is scary. It seems to take an age to react and after looking at it further it does have a knocking noise on full lock. I have a funny feeling that I may need a steering rack 😦

Couple of things I would do first before driving it - with the key in the ignitino and steering lock off, lean in the drivers window and rock the steering wheel from side to side - the front wheels should move immediately the steering wheel does - it you can move the steering wheel quite a bit before the front wheels react, more investigation is needed. You'll need someone else to help do the same test with the nearside wheel.

If you have a worn track rod end or ball joint, this might put the wheels into a toe in position and make the feel really light.

If you think there is play, get the front end jacked up, grab the whole track rod end and get a friend to rock the steering again - feel for any movement that suggested there is play (you could do this test with it on the ground and on full lock).

I'm no expert on faults with PAS, but I'm not sure light steering would indicate rack failure - heavy might. THere are a whole series of other things it could be, but probably best start with the basics. Check all the wheel buts are tight. Jack up the front, grab the wheel at Quarter to Three and see if there is any movement too.

Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to read up in them and it seems that there's a fair few other cheaper things to check first. Plenty to get my hands dirty with 😂

Correct, light steering is not a failing rack, generally. Clunking on full lock while stationary is more likely to be ball joints, top mounts or track rod ends (which could also make the steering feel really bad, particularly you would experience weaving under braking or acceleration), and clunking on lock while rolling e.g. while parking would point to CV joints instead. The racks themselves are extremely reliable and as long as there's no excessive play and the PAS is even both left and right chances are there's nothing wrong with it.

Fwiw a lot of modern cars have reduced PAS assistance now in an effort to make up for the total lack of feel from an electric power steering rack.

In fact the Corrado's hydraulic power steering is superb by comparison but can feel a little light. This is partly because the gearing is so slow, requiring nearly a full additional turn to get from lock to lock, but also note that with an electric PAS car the steering wheel sits absolutely still where you left it and it feels like you have to overcome friction to turn the wheel at all. This gives you stable, steady driving and feels "heavy" when in fact it's not. The high level of assistance only becomes apparent when you actually turn the wheel.

The Corrado steering is friction-free so is very easy to turn initially, though the weighting of the assistance is not that high so if you are on lock while going round a corner at speed you will easily feel the weight of the car working against you and frankly when the car is stationary and you're turning the wheels to park it can be quite heavy compared to a modern electric PAS system.

An old Mini has no PAS so is hardly a fair comparison and if it's a BMW mini it has electric PAS. (And a higher level of steering assist than the Corrado in fact. Though I have a vr6 and it's possible the g60's steering feels different.)

Edited by dr_mat

Right that might explain it. I'll take a look at a few of the bits and hopefully it'll feel better