John Blount

Timing chain and clutch replacement advice on are VR6

My cars currently having a full respray of which I really wanted the engine bay cleaning and repainting as well but this involves a lot of work which I can't do plus the cost is just that bit too much for the wife to be happy with me spending.

That said I will get it painted out next year but I need some advice, I believe the engine needs to come out to replace the timing chain and tensioners and as I have no history and the engines out anyway it would make sense to do. The replacement of the clutch is also a no brainier and I suppose the water pump but is there anything else I should change while the engine is out?

I'm perfectly happy with the standard VR engine so I'm not looking at uprating cams etc I just want it to be reliable?

For those of you who have had simalar repairs such as chains and clutch etc what would a "ball park" cost be?

The engine doesn't have to come out to do the timing chains but if it's out anyway I would also replace the stat housing, seals and crack pipe , sump gasket, front and rear crank seals, oil cooler seals.

Timing chain kit can be had for a couple of hundred or so and about ninety for a clutch kit

Cost ? Couple of days work really so depends very much on the labour rate of your chosen garage/mechanic.

Clutch slave cylinder, clean injectors and replace seals, crank seal, GB input shaft seal and release bearing, clean, strip and paint the block and gearbox, both inlet gaskets, throttle body gasket, dipstick guide tube seal, oil cooler and seals, oil filter housing seal....... the list can go on and on.

I replaced all these including those Harrier suggested, but aside from replacing one chain guide and the tensioner bolt, I didn't do the rest as they had been done shortly before I bought the car and were in near perfect condition. I reckon with all I've mentioned and a full chain set, you're looking at close to a grand.

Change the front knock sensor when engine out and doing oil cooler, doable with engine in, but have to remove oil cooler to do it anyway, take 5 mins with engine out.

Most other bits you can get to with engine still in car. I'd just do the clutch and chains, maybe oil change in the gearbox.

You could end up replacing bits that don't really need to be replaced, can get quite expensive.

Victor reinz do full engine gasket sets. Worth getting one and using them as you need them.