FasthunVR6

Not wanting to step on fendervg's toes but I too need a VR6 ABS unit.

I think I got one for myself, so will wait to see what BBA-Reman have to say about it when it arrives. They seem to be getting really hard to find and lots of them are past it anyway at this stage. There were loads of cars breaking a few years back, and now not so many. Keep an eye out on German ebay, and one or two on here may have ones from breakers.

The common faults with the pumps seem to be crud in the valve block, dodgy wiring connectors and the dry solder joints and the ribbon cable on the circuit board. Any you buy now are likely in need of a good clean up or repair.

Incidentally VAG still sell them new, but for the approx €2400 they are asking you could just go and buy another VR with working ABS! ;)

Good luck with your search.

I have one on my breaker - it's in Bedford (M1 J13) so not too far...

Two catches - it's still in the car and would need removing, and it used to work intermittently. By that I mean if you fully warmed the car up it would work perfectly (including ABS) but first thing in the morning the ABS light would be on. The outermost couple of hardlines to it had corroded and brake fluid was weeping down the front of the unit, so I suspect some got into the electrics and it evaporated once the engine bay was nice and hot.

On the bright side, I wouldn't take more than a tenner for it :) You're welcome to drop by if it'd help you out.

Early MK3 Golf gtis have the same ecus and similar pumps (ECUs under the rear seat), I suspect the one I have fitted now is a Golf unit as it has a different part number to the one I removed.

Mine had wheel sensors, ABS pump (I trialled various ecus too) and ultimately a pedal sensor before my system became reliable, I suspect most systems have been faulty / intermittent for so long many cars will need to replace a few items before the fix is permanent.

Are you sure about the Mk3 GTIs? Is it the 6 outlet unit with EDL? I thought the Mark 3s had the Teves 20 system instead of the Teves 04. The best way to troubleshoot is to get VCDS on to the car and pull the codes from the ABS ECU. Or replace, by trial and error, the four wheel sensors, brake position sensor, ECU, maybe loom and then the pump, I would think.

Are you sure about the Mk3 GTIs? Is it the 6 outlet unit with EDL? I thought the Mark 3s had the Teves 20 system instead of the Teves 04. The best way to troubleshoot is to get VCDS on to the car and pull the codes from the ABS ECU. Or replace, by trial and error, the four wheel sensors, brake position sensor, ECU, maybe loom and then the pump, I would think.

Am I 100% sure they're exactly the same? No. Do the early MK3s have similar looking pumps and ECUs with the same part numbers as the Corrados. Yes. Not every Corrado has EDL and a suffix of E on the ABS ecu.

There should be just enough wiring to connect it to the pump without swapping the actual unit, then scan it with VCDS.

I took a chance fitting a pump with a different part number but physically the same as the one removed and it worked for me (with the light on the dash ABS is disabled anyway), it was sold to me as a Corrado pump.

These cars are all over 20 years old, who knows what currently fitted to them?

Stonejag - Very kind fella and would have been there but SWMBO was taken ill so have not had any time to get out and about. As luck would have it grabbed a decent one of ebay that came up so finges crossed

#BBA-Reman give it the all clear and I can get it fitted!

Will see if I can get my current one re-furbed once the new one is fitted just in case!

fendervy glad you are sorted fella!

On the debate of the early Golf VR6 vs Rado pump, apparently yes, they do work, but not seen one in situ and working so don't take my word for it!

Cheers all!

Haven't fitted mine yet. Waiting on a pressure bleeder to arrive. And it's mysteriously behaved itself on the last few runs! Ah, nothing like a Corrado