GrizzlyBear

1992 2.0 16v Clutch Issue!

Hi Guys,

I have a 92' 2.0 valver that I'm having some issues with. Basically I was sat in traffic and was in first gear, but I was sat for a long time so i thought I'd put it into neutral to give my foot a rest but I could not get it out of gear! I waited for the car infront to pull away and as I went to pull away mu clutch pedal stayed to the floor and did not return!

I managed to pull into a car park as my car was now behaving like an auto, lift my foot of the brake and it would pull away but the clutch pedal wouldn't move still.

So I checked the clutch fluid resovoir and it was full and was the normal colour. I then managed to pull my clutch pedal back up, then it worked again and it sprung back like it should do. However once I pulled out of the carpark same again! I managed to get into second but then the pedal stayed down and I couldn't change gear once again.

I bled the clutch thinking there was air but again, no joy and now my ABS light is on!

I belive it's the master or slave cylinder playing up, but has anyone had this issiue and can guide me on what I need to do? I wanted to go to dub fest next week but can't drive it like this!

Thanks in advance,

Mick

Had this happen on my MGB years ago. Suspected the slave was at fault but replaced he job lot to make sure. I'd start with a slave swap out as they are known to fail often and are pretty cheap and relatively easy to change. I changed mine on the valver simply for piece of mind.

I'd start by replacing the slave cylinder. I had a similar thing years back on mine, that the slave was leaking slightly and engaging the clutch.

Just a quick update, replaced both cylinders as I wanted to be safe and all good! Clutch works as it should now. Looks like the master was the one at fault as the slave looked reletivley new. Thanks for the help guys :)