Rado87

Dodgy oil light

Hi all. I've posted relating to the oil light on my VR before, but it's giving me problems again! Basically, following the rebuild I noticed the oil wasn't coming on so I took the speedo clocks out and had a play with swapping LEDs about and I also swapped both senders for new ones, which cured it. BUT, now the damn thing won't come on and I'm s*****g myself! Don't really want to be rebuilding her again! What do people think, dodgy senders or faulty dash clocks? I'm leaning towards the clocks.

I'm also thinking of putting a capillary oil pressure gauge in. Has anyone here done that? Easy job? Best place for parts?

Just fix the two oil pressure senders that should be there as standard. You don't really need anything else, but a pressure gauge is nice to have if you want extra re-assurance. Sounds like the clocks or the wiring or fuse box connection by the way. Get it all traced and tested with a multimeter with the wiring diagrams to hand. It's all on here or freely available on the web. Where did you buy your senders?

I bought the sensors off eBay. I think though it is more likely to be a wiring fault as you say. That'll be my job later then, love a bit of electrical fault finding!

Were they VDO, Bosch or VW items on fleabay? I wouldn't put any sensors in other than those. The other ones are all rubbish and a false economy. Always test them before fitting if you can as well, it saves time and heartache afterwards. IMHO.

You can get some lovely OEM original VW auxilliary gauges made by VDO to fit into your centre console by the way - but you need to be patient and have cash waiting. I have them on mine and they are the business. They were an option at the time.

Edited by fendervg

No, they weren't vw items mate. Maybe I should fit some then to rule that out. I've seen those gauges, there rare as hens teeth though aren't they!

Up until recently they were available new through Classic Parts and VW Heritage. Not sure what the story is with availability at the moment.

They come up on the secondary market once every while, expect to pay £200-300 for a set.

They are nice though, have the correct green back lighting, and Corrado script on them with red needles. For the early cars there was also a gauge pod with two round VDO dials that is even harder to find.

You can make your own set-up fairly handily if you have the time and the skills and do some research. All the required bits and pieces are easily got on-line or can be made at home.

The pods are also handed - so different for RH vs LH drive cars, so watch out for that if you do decide to look for some.

No, they weren't vw items mate. Maybe I should fit some then to rule that out. I've seen those gauges, there rare as hens teeth though aren't they!

Ordered new sensors from TPS today so I'll fit them this weekend. Want to go for a spin Sunday and want that oil light working!!

So I've fitted new genuine sensors and still no light. Removed the instrument cluster and swapped red LEDs about, nothing. I've studied the a2 electric chart and it mentions a oil pressure warning unit terminals G2 10 and G2 11?? Anyone no where this is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those G numbers are the senders themselves. The terminal identifiers are often etched into the metal beside the connector on the sender pins.

Ah right, cheers fenderverg. I thought maybe there was a separate unit incorporating the buzzer behind the dash somewhere. I've made up a temporary test lamp connected in series with the low pressure switch which is on until the engine is started. I think I'll have to source another set of dash clocks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk