Dox

Tappety engine survey

We should make a list of work done and parts fitted before doing a survey of sorts to try and determine what makes these engines sound tappety?

Head skim?

Valves recut?

Original guides or new?

Head gasket, metal or fibre?

Original valves? New, reprofiled?

Valve springs, original, new?

Cams standard or performance?

Tappets, original, new - make?

Chain kit replaced? Make?

Cam cover, metal or plastic

Engine bottom end, factory or rebuilt at the same time?

Oil pump, original, new?

Oil pick up cleaned, replaced?

Oil make / viscosity?

What else do we need to add before rolling out a survey to find a solution to noisy overhauled engines?

Edited by Dox

I use 10w60 oil fully synthetic. Mind you mine hasn't had a rebuild but the tapping used to annoy me quite a bit!

So, mine; 93 VR6 with 256k on the clock! Reskimmed head, pressure tested, existing valves reused and reseated with new stem seals. Original springs,original cams, original tappets, fibre head gasket metal cam cover. New FEBI Chain KIT, new crankshaft bearings new big end bearings and new piston rings. Brand new oil pump, FEBI from memory, and running 10 40 shell helix but soon to be changed for a 10 60 I think.

My original engine with 194,000miles on it didn't tap, but had bottom end noise.

The replacement was 3rd hand, but had some work done on it in the past, unsure of mileage but that tapped, i replaced the lifers for INA ones and the tapping went away but came back about 1000miles later.

The newer engine i built was mainly new parts and a head from vege, that sounded much quieter but still a very slight hint of the noise but nothing concerning, i imagine all those bits of metal and chains spinning around are going to make some noise.

Would be good to know what causes it as I've had it with that 2nd engine and heard it in videos people post up.

When I had the head off of my engine for the second time I had new valve guides put in and it made a massive difference, the chap showed me the amount of play in the guides and it was not huge but enough for the valves to move about when running and I guess make a clatter as they are not seating properly.

When I had the head off of my engine for the second time I had new valve guides put in and it made a massive difference, the chap showed me the amount of play in the guides and it was not huge but enough for the valves to move about when running and I guess make a clatter as they are not seating properly.

I've added valve guides to the first post.

Interesting. So did you remove your head just to do valve guides? Did you do anything else whilst it was off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st time around everything was done bar the guides including new valves so I can safely say the guides made a difference, £40 for the guides it's not horrendous if the head is off already