John Blount

Brake Hoses/bracket

So it was MOT day today, cars gone through OK although the chap has said I need to get the brake hoses changed. In fairness I know they need changing as their the originals and it's one thing that's going to be done over the winter but its the reason he gave me why they need changing thats confused me??

To look at them there worn out and tired so I was expecting that to be the reason but I was told that they are too long?? I have fitted some coilovers in the last few months and the car is lowered but only about 30-40mm from standard and its certainly not "slammed" to the floor.

So here's the question, if I get new brake hoses either original or aftermarket etc there going to be all the same lenght so how do those of us get away with this when the cars are lowered? I don't understand that lowering a car by 30-40mm is that critical and can make much difference?

One thing to mention is that the coilovers on the front don't have the bracket fitted to them like the original shock/spring has to secure the hoses too. I suppose he could mean this? How have others got around this missing bracket as many other coilovers I've seen on the market don't have them?

Any ideas would be appreciated..

John

The hoses are usually secured to the abs bracket behind the wheel hub this stops them moving around.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

[ATTACH]84551[/ATTACH]oe definitely have a bracket that attaches to the suspension strut, which the brake pipe goes through, also a grommet at this point

Apologies for the crap picture and the 2nd photo. .. don't know how that got on there. .oops

I agree with you that the length of the brake hoses are a defined length, so shouldn't need to be shortened.

I have HEL lines fitted to my VR6 and they have a grommet already fitted to slot into the mounting bracket.

The strut itself should have a mounting point for the handed mounting bracket to bolt through, as Jon_vr6 and Cressa have already mentioned.

I have seen Bilstein coilovers with the same mounting point. You can see the mounting point on this image

(borrowed from MDMTechnik's post: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?92068-VR6-Storm-full-restoration&p=1103298&viewfull=1#post1103298).

I can't find the bracket in the parts catalogue, so I can check if there is a part number stamped on my setup at weekend...

What damper is fitted to your car? Does it have the mounting point like in MDM's picture?

Are you just missing the bracket and bolt?

I got mine from VW parts international via ebay, £5.99 each plus postage. Part number 1H0 611 799 & 1H0 611 800

Replacement shocks won't come with them as they're bolt on, but my Bilsteins have the mounting point ready to accept them as original. Should be a case of just swapping them over but someone previously obviously couldn't be bothered on yours!

:thumbleft:

Edited by seanl82

Can buy the brackets themselves from VW :)

Be careful as they're sided so there is a part number per side. There's also a bolt you need to buy to secure them to the damper. I know because I just bought a pair from Volkswagen last month when when I fitted new coilovers :)

On the plus side they're relatively inexpensive.

Should be a case of just swapping them over but someone previously obviously couldn't be bothered on yours!

In my case the bolt holding them to the strut sheared off on each side when I went to remove them to swap them over. At that point I figured just buy new ones :(

I was lucky then! I have a spare brand new N/S one if you want it, as I did what Jim warned of and bought 2 by mistake. If you search on ebay for "vr6 brake hose bracket" they have them in stock I believe. Or you can have my spare N/S one for £5 including postage?

Cheers Sean, Jim

I'll get some ordered up.... Tie wraps have there uses but not in this situation..

Sean: thanks for the offer but I need a couple of other bits so I'll get off the web although thanks for the heads up about N/S and O/S