Ed21

R32 Engine and conversion ancilleries

Have to admit that the cash isn't quite there for it yet as spending a small fortune on a respray currently but when the car does eventually come out the bodyshop there is a gaping hole where there used to be a VR6 that needs to be filled..... Really just testing the water to see whats out there, know there are loads on Egay but would like to find a engine that I can trust the history on, will also be needing all necessary conversion parts like loom, ecu etc and possibly a six speed box.

Don't bother with a 6 speed box, if you look at ratio's you'll actually be a lot worse off at cruising speed and you'll find yourself going through the gears like crazy. Unless of course you're planning on trying to make frankensteins monster by swapping internals (something I've thought of but not done any real research on). I'll probably get this wrong way round but VR6 final drive is 3.39, G60 is 3.6 and if I'm correct 6 speed is about 3.9 so you'll find yourself doing about 4k+ at 70mph.

As for engine, I have personally had 2 horror stories, first engine delivered to me with half the agreed parts missing and never heard from the guy again. Second engine had "gearbox problems" which turned out to be snapped oil pump drive shaft resulting in ruined bottom end, it looked like it was about a mile away from seizing.

So my advice would be to hear it running and go collect it with a list of parts you need or if you can buy a full car. I got my 3rd engine from a guy in cleveland. Real nice genuine bloke, sent me a video of it running and gave me a load of documentation with it. Just tried to find him but looks like he's no longer on ebay sadly.

Guest sam1990rhodes

as Swiftkid said, buy the whole car that someone has written off, take what you need then break the rest, i was able to make my money back that i paid for the car by selling seats, body panels etc this way.

Cheers for the advice chaps, annoyingly I did have a bloke come into my workshop a few months back asking for tint quotes on his new S4 and his wife's A6 Avant, we got talking and he told me he'd brought the S4 to replace his mk4 r32 he'd just had rear ended and written off. I said I'd be interested in the car and he said he'd be back in to book and we could discuss it then, I never took his number as I was busy and assumed he'd be back, it's been months now and I'm kicking myself for losing a good chance to get a whole car I could of offset some of the purchase cost with labour, just willing him to walk back in........