Bfstrachan

Doing a 9a into KR engine swap...

What clutch kit do I need? I'm keeping the original gearbox, but it will be a 2.0 9a engine going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a vr6 pressure plate and use a normal 2.0 valver disk. The Vr pressure plate has more clamp load than the others. Change the release bearing too Bill.

They are both good bill, Sachs used to supply the clutchs to Vw as O/E so that must say something about the quality..

They are both good bill, Sachs used to supply the clutchs to Vw as O/E so that must say something about the quality..

Thanks as ever for the good advice! Just double checking that those parts will work with my existing early gearbox?

I did a 9a conversion, and used the original clutch off the 1991 box, all components! eveything worked spot on

I did a 9a conversion, and used the original clutch off the 1991 box, all components! eveything worked spot on

Good to know. I have a new LUK clutch kit I bought a while back and was planing to fit before I decided to do the 9a conversion. I wasn't sure if they would be compatible, but looks like it would be...

When I take the old engine out with gearbox intact, what should I do as far as timing when mating gearbox to the new engine? Do I need to set the old engine to the marks before separating the gearbox?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the flywheel will only go on in one position so no need to mark anything you cant it wrong

the flywheel will only go on in one position so no need to mark anything you cant it wrong

Nice - thanks for the confirmation.

And just to be 100%, make sure the TDC scribed line points up with pistons 1-4 At TDC.

But new flywheel bolts too, i would'nt trust 20+ year old bolts.. And also check the rear oil Seal fitted behind the flywheel, easy to do now that it's all dismantled.

And just to be 100%, make sure the TDC scribed line points up with pistons 1-4 At TDC.

But new flywheel bolts too, i would'nt trust 20+ year old bolts.. And also check the rear oil Seal fitted behind the flywheel, easy to do now that it's all dismantled.

Thanks, is that lining up the crank pulley with the arrow on the lower cover?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same thing Bill, the flywheel line aligns with the bell housing's small pointer bit, when the engine is timed up, both marks correspond.

Going to fit a new distributor, what's the plan of attack wit that? Is it a pretty straight forward fit or should I be aware of anything?

Going to fit a new distributor, what's the plan of attack wit that? Is it a pretty straight forward fit or should I be aware of anything?