neil20vtc

vrt running mega rich

after a bit of help had my car running for a bit now with its turbo setup but still on standard injectors and map, drove down to stealth last week to get it mapped but they couldnt do it permenatly as i need to move the maf further away as well as some other bits

anyways car drove down to them from cumbria just fine but on the journey home it started feeling like it was hesitating/missfiring on the motorway but it cleared up before the next services so i carried on got home put the car away was running fine came to it a couple of days later and was laboured starting then when it did start its now running really rich chuggging out black smoke

i have replaced the lambda as vince suggested fitting a new one for peace of mind i have also replaced the plugs leads and coilpack but its still doing it if i unplug the maf it seems to run better no black smoke but still stinks of fuel

i tried unplugging the tps still does the same i also tried unlugging the blue temp sensor but i also had the battery disconnected when i started it up again with maf plugged in it ran fine so i thought it must be the temp sensor, i unplugged the maf whilst it was running and it got worse so i presumed the maf must be ok but after a few more seconds of running it started running rough again and the smoke started again which now makes me think it cant be the temp sensor

so yeah its driving me mad i need to start getting on with the jobs that need doing before i take it back down to stealth but this problem is holding me back, anyone with any ideas im leaning towards the maf but want to be sure as for a bosch one from eurocarparts its £234! ironically one from vw would have been around £130 but they told me they are now obsolete

any help much apprecaited neil

I'm in South Shields, Tyne and Wear, canny hike, but if your up this way got a couple of known good spare MAF's ya welcome to call in and try for test, also coilpacks, TPS, FPS etc., most normal stuff keep spares.

Surprised your using standard injectors on a turbo, I've got EV6 injectors on non turbo VR6 but running with 3 bar FPS rather than 4, which seems to suit. My mates got a turbo and injectors first thing changed.

Also got old injectors which are known good, had them on until recently and cleaned and refurbed few years ago should standard injectors be bad.

Did you pull the plugs and what state are they in? Do you have an A/F gauge set up? If not it would be worth as it means you can keep an eye on the car in real time.

Changed the plugs to ones vince suggested I use, old ones were wet and stink of fuel I have a afr gauge but it needs recalibrating as stealth removed it to fit there own for mapping im in the process of recalibrating it

And it only did a power run then was returned to standard map/ injectors so I doubt if it is that

Thanks for the replys

I'm in South Shields, Tyne and Wear, canny hike, but if your up this way got a couple of known good spare MAF's ya welcome to call in and try for test, also coilpacks, TPS, FPS etc., most normal stuff keep spares.

Surprised your using standard injectors on a turbo, I've got EV6 injectors on non turbo VR6 but running with 3 bar FPS rather than 4, which seems to suit. My mates got a turbo and injectors first thing changed.

Also got old injectors which are known good, had them on until recently and cleaned and refurbed few years ago should standard injectors be bad.

sorry didnt mean to ignore your post before just quickly replied whilst on brew at work

thanks for the offer of trying one of your mafs i have ordered a second hand one of ebay so will try that and see how i go as for the injectors im only running the standard ones at the moment so i can drive the car off boost down to get mapped it then has the bosch blue 470cc ones swapped in

Well got the afr recalibrated tried starting the car car with everything but the maf plugged in after having the battery off to reset the ecu car would start and stall before the afr's lambda was upto temp

plugged maf in car idled but afr was at 10/11 which is full throttle amounts of fuel not good hoping this maf sorts it when it gets here

Also in typical corrado fashion the ignition has now started playing up as in the key just won't turn at all great!

Right well maf arrived yesterday fitted it started the car and it idled ok but still running rich let it run upto temp and it settled down with correct afr readings

Came to start it tonight first turn of the engine was slow then turned over normal afr showed running rich again then as soon as I touched the throttle the smoke started again!

Any ideas anyone? I've got a new blue temp sensor which I'm going to try but from what I have read they affect hot running rather than cold?

Thankfully quick squirt of lube sorted the ignition

Neil