robrado974

No water or coolant in the system I'm getting concerned now .

Morning chaps .

I took the car off the road around 4 months ago ,to fit all the new underside parts.What with sheared bolts and other things that go wrong it's taken way longer than I thought. I was thinking of putting the coolant back in the system even though I cant run it , just to stop it getting nasty inside the block and the water pump. I could wedge the hoses upside down to prevent the coolant from running out . Then use it as a flush when it's running and replace it.

Any opinions are gratefully received.

Rob

idd just leave it , plenty of engines get drained for removal and get sat for months to be sold off or engines that get worked on for months aswell, its obviously not as good just leaving the coolant thats already in it in it if it can be helped.... i was told years ago that in a sealed system {house plumbing} the water will only attack the metals once { i.e your boiler} , so if you keep introducing fresh water to it then the metals that can rust will rust, we all know that coolant helps inhibit corrosion but does it totally stop that first attack? probably not, just my thoughts on that..

Hi Rob, personally I wouldn't worry about not having any coolant in there, I would however start the engine and run it for a minute , just to keep things moving and lubricated.

Hi Darren ,

I can't start the engine as I'm re fitting new parts to the underside. I decided to remove the sump so I could get to the wishbone bolt instead of jacking the engine up to get the bolt out . That and I have a new sump to fit . It's reassuring that it will be ok . I was worried that with no oil and no coolant things would turn nasty inside the engine . Hopefully I will get things on track soon .

Edit . The old sump is fitted back temporarily, the bottom end is not open to the elements.